Indian Director General Military Operations (DGMO), Ranbir Singh on Monday talked to his Pakistani counterpart again for the return of Sepoy Chandu Babulal Chavan, the soldier who had inadvertently crossed the Line of Control hours after Indian Army’s surgical attack in Pakistan occupied Kashmir on Thursday.
Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar on Sunday said a well-established mechanism through the DGMO has been activated to bring back Army jawan Chandu Babulal Chavan, who is in Pakistan’s custody after inadvertently crossing over.
“He had crossed over which happens in border areas. There is a well-established mechanism through DGMO (Director General of Military Operations) which has been activated,” he said.
On September 30, Chavan from 37 Rashtriya Rifles had inadvertently crossed over to the other side of the Line of Control following which Pakistan had been informed by the DGMO on the hotline.
Also read: Newsnation begins campiagn to #BringBackChavanSafe
“Such inadvertent crossing by Army and civilians are not unusual on either side. They are returned through existing mechanisms,” the army had said.
On Friday, Home Minister Rajnath Singh had called up the family of the solider and assured them that efforts are being made to secure his releae. Chavan’s grandmother had passed away after hearing the news of his crossing over to Pakistan.
Parrikar also said that people should remain alert and report anything unsusal to the police.