News Nation Logo

Know Your Rights - Traffic Police cannot take out keys from vehicle while checking

It Has Been Clearly Stated That Taking Out The Key Of Any Two Or Four-wheeler Is Wrong. No Policeman, Irrespective Of Any Rank, Has The Power To Do This.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Tahir Qureshi | Updated on: 03 Dec 2017, 09:40:11 PM
Representative image

New Delhi:

It has been generally observed that policemen in India take out the keys from a person’s vehicle during random checking on roads. 

Most of the citizens take this act as a standard operating drill of the traffic police but do they really know that there is no law in place which grants them the right to do so? 

The cops who are into this practice of taking out the keys are in a way violating the law of their department because as per the guidelines issued by the police department, no policemen have the right to take out the key of your vehicle in the middle of the road. 

The information regarding the same is provided under a Right to Information (RTI) filed by advocate Pawan Parikh. 

In the information provided by the police department, it has been clearly stated that taking out the key of any two or four-wheeler is wrong. No policeman, irrespective of any rank, has the power to do this. 

So now if you face a situation where any police officer tries to take out the key to your vehicle, you have the right to complain to his senior. 

In addition to this, cops cannot indulge in deflating the tyres of vehicles parked outside the yellow line or in no parking area, which is also against traffic rules. 

According to The Indian Motor Vehicle Act, 1932, traffic officers of and above the rank of an assistant sub-inspector are authorised to give away traffic violation challan or notices, which are for spot fines only. Only officers of the rank of ASI (one-star), sub-inspector (two-star) and inspector (three-star) are authorised to collect spot fines. 

If you are driving your vehicle, it is advisable to keep the original driving license and pollution under control certificate and a copy of RC and insurance with you all the time. 

In case a traffic constable has stopped your vehicle and ordered you to show papers, then you may deny doing so and say that you will only show it to an officer. Not only that, you can file a complaint with his superior authorities as well. 

You may file a case against him at the local police station or just call 100 and inform of the misconduct by the police constable. 

For all the Latest Campaign News, Know Your Rights News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 03 Dec 2017, 09:34:49 PM