News Nation Logo

Google Techie's Wife Tests Positive For Coronavirus In Agra After Dodging Quarantine And Flying Out From Bengaluru

At A Time When The States Across India Are Announcing Partial Shutdown To Limit The Exposure And Possible Spread Of The Disease, The Incident Of A Person Knowingly Defying The Mandatory Isolation Has Even Stunned The Officials.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Surabhi Pandey | Updated on: 14 Mar 2020, 02:30:14 PM
coronavirus airport IANS photo

The couple got married in February and travelled to Europe for honeymoon. They visited France and Greece before returning to India on February 27. (Photo Credit: IANS File Photo)

New Delhi:

In one of the most baffling coronavirus pandemic stories that India may have seen so far, a newly-married woman deliberately chose to dodge quarantine after her techie husband was tested positive for COVID-19 disease in Karnataka’s capital city Bengaluru and travel all the way to Uttar Pradesh. Now, reports suggest that the 25-year-old wife of the Google techie has also been confirmed to be infected with coronavirus! At a time when the states across India are announcing partial shutdown to limit the exposure and possible spread of the disease, the incident of a person knowingly defying the mandatory isolation has even stunned the officials. (Coronavirus Live Updates)

The couple got married in February and travelled to Europe for honeymoon. They visited France and Greece before returning to India on February 27, a Times of India report said. On March 7, the Google techie was tested positive. After that, the couple was placed under compulsory quarantine in Bengaluru. Google India had also ordered the other employees to work from home.

A day later on March 8, the woman decided to pack her bags and go back to her parents’ home in Agra. She defied the quarantine and took a Bengaluru-Delhi flight. On the same day, she took a train to Agra to reach her parents’ home.

After officials in Aligarh alerted about the coronavirus suspect, the authorities reached her home and requested her to get tested for coronavirus. According to the Times of India report, the woman and her family protested against the officials and didn’t cooperate with them. Finally, the Agra DM had to intervene. The woman, who has been tested positive, is now admitted to the SN Medical College.

Meanwhile, four persons admitted to a government-run hospital here for suspected coronavirus infection, returned home without informing the authorities, police said on Saturday. The incident occurred late Friday night, they said. According to police, the four persons were later traced and asked to return to the hospital. Their test results are awaited.

"Four persons, including two women, had come to the Indira Gandhi Government Medical College and Hospital (IGGMCH) on Friday morning to give their blood samples for suspected coronavirus infection. They were kept in the isolation ward. However, at night they left the hospital without informing the authorities," a police official said.

(With agency inputs)

For all the Latest Cities News, Bangalore News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 14 Mar 2020, 02:16:02 PM

Related Tags:

Google Coronavirus Bengaluru