Stalin: Know all about DMK new president
M K Stalin (File Photo- PTI)
M Karunanidhi’s son, Stalin, is accepted within the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK), as the former Tamil Nadu chief minister’s successor by the party cadres. Even within the extended Karunanidhi family, Stalin’s position is well recognised. Here are nine facts about M K Stalin, son of late DMK chief Karunanidhi.
- Stalin has always lived under Karunanidhi’s shadow and has not held many positions during his over five decades in politics.
- He plunged into student politics at the age of 14.
- Stalin was the mayor of Chennai Corporation between 1996 and 2002
- He was the minister of municipal administration and rural development in 2006.
- Stalin was appointed Tamil Nadu deputy chief minister in 2009.
- He was appointed as secretary of the DMK youth wing in 1984.
- Stalin was elected DMK deputy general secretary in 2003.
- He has been the treasurer of the party since 2008.
- Stalin has taken effective charge of the party at a time when the DMK is poised to recover lost ground after the demise of his family’s arch-rival AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa.
Now, the nation is waiting for him to capitalize on the situation when there is a virtual power vacuum in the state.
Also Read | 'Kalaignar' Karunanidhi had special connection with MS Dhoni, Chennai Super Kings and Cricket
First Published : 08 Aug 2018, 03:14:39 PM