News Nation Logo

Delhi Riots: Man Forced To Sing National Anthem Dies, Family Alleges Police Brutality

The Delhi Riots Victim Was A Local Resident Of Kardampuri Area And Died At The LNJP Hospital, Latest Media Reports Said.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Surabhi Pandey | Updated on: 29 Feb 2020, 03:56:34 PM
Jaffrabad riots reuters

So far, around 600 people have been detained and over 100 cases have been filed by the Delhi Police. (Photo Credit: Reuters Photo)

New Delhi :

Faizan was bleeding profusely. Lying on roadside, the 23-year-old and some other men were forced to sing the National Anthem, in the Kardampuri area at the peak of Delhi communal riots on Monday. On Saturday, Faizan died of grievous injuries with his family alleging torture in police custody. The viral video, in which policemen were seen verbally abusing the victims, was authenticated by factchecking website AltNews also. The Delhi riots victim was a local resident of Kardampuri area and died at the LNJP hospital, latest media reports said. Now, his family has alleged that Faizan was brutalised after he was picked up from the street and allegedly thrashed in the police custody.  

According to an NDTV report, Faizan’s mother claimed the police had confirmed that he was in their custody. Some other men were also picked up by the cops. When Faizan’s family demanded his release, the cops reportedly said that they would put them behind the bars. Next day, Faizan was returned to the family in an extremely critical condition. The family first took him to a local hospital, where doctors said that Faizan needs urgent surgery. Later, he was admitted at the LNJP where doctors performed a brain surgery. On Saturday, Faizan was declared dead. The family claims that the police were responsible for his death.

So far, around 600 people have been detained and over 100 cases have been filed by the Delhi Police. Two SITs have also been formed to probe the riots. Around 7,000 security personnel have been deployed in the area.


Several victims, who have become refugee in their own city, are painfully looking for their near and dear ones with many ending at the morgue. Frantic search for the whereabouts of persons missing in the riots continued at different hospitals of Delhi and for the family of 22-year-old Monis it ended at the GTB Hospital morgue. Monis mother was wailing outside the mortuary as the family was called inside. They identified his body. He was missing since February 25.

His cousin Ibrahim said Monis had gone to visit his mother in Badli and was returning to Mustafabad where he worked as a labourer. "He told me around 3.30 pm that he was stuck near Yamuna Vihar since communal violence was going on, but assured me that he would reach home safely. But he didn't and his phone has been switched off since," he said.

"We had searched for him in seven hospitals, including AIIMS and Safdarjung. We even approached the office of Haji Yunus and they told us that they will forward our complaint to police but to no avail," Ibrahim said. They finally searched for him at GTB Hospital and found his body.

Meanwhile, the situation in northeast Delhi was peaceful Saturday morning with residents gradually coming to terms with the damage in communal riots in the area earlier this week. Security personnel have been conducting flag marches and holding regular consultations with locals to assuage their fears. They are also urging residents to not pay attention to rumours on social media and report them to the police.

(With agency inputs)

For all the Latest Cities News, Delhi & NCR News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 29 Feb 2020, 03:13:46 PM