News Nation Logo

Delhi Violence: Death Count Mounts To 27; High Court's Midnight Order Ensures Safe Passage For Injured

There Are Reports That The Number Of Deaths Will Increase As The Current Data Is From Only Two Hospitals.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Surabhi Pandey | Updated on: 26 Feb 2020, 08:40:46 PM
Delhi Violence reuters

Eerie calm prevailed on the streets of Maujpur, Seelampur and Gokulpuri on Wednesday morning. (Photo Credit: Reuters Photo)

New Delhi :

The number of casualties in the Delhi violence climbed up to 27, according to the reports. The GTB hospital earlier said that four people were brought dead during the intervening night of February 25-26. Another death was reported from LNJP hospital. Eerie calm prevailed on the streets of Maujpur, Seelampur and Gokulpuri on Wednesday morning. No fresh incidents of violence or stone-pelting have been reported so far. The Delhi Metro has resumed the services at all station. “Security Update Entry & exit gates at all stations have been opened. Normal services have resumed in all stations,” the DMRC said on Twitter.

There are reports that the number of deaths will increase as the current data is from only one hospital. Local residents of the violence-affected areas faced harrowing times in getting their near and dear ones admitted to hospital. In fact, the Delhi High Court had to pass a midnight order to ensure safe passage for ambulances to reach the injured.

According to PTI, the hearing took place at the residence of Justice S Murlidhar on an urgent plea seeking safe passage for the injured to medical institutions with adequate facilities. The Bench of Justices S Muralidhar and Anup J Bhambhani directed the Delhi Police to deploy all resources to ensure this. People were seen carrying the injured on bikes, e-rickhsaws and other vehicles due to lack of ambulances. Union Home Minister Amit Shah has reportedly chaired three meetings in last 24 hours to take stock of the situation. An ABP report said that an hourly report is being sent to the home ministry.  

National Security Adviser (NSA) Ajit Doval late on Tuesday night reached Seelmapur in northeast Delhi to review situation in the area even as the death count in the communal violence over the amended citizenship law mounted to 13. For the third consecutive day, the police struggled to check the rioters who ran amok on streets, burning and looting shops, pelting stones and thrashing people.

After overnight incidents of arson, tension smouldered in the national capital and as the day progressed streets in several localities like Chand Bagh, Bhajanpura, Gokulpuri, Maujpur, Kardampuri and Jaffrabad saw pitched battles between the members of two groups who also hurled petrol bombs and opened fire.

Late in the night, locals in Maujpur area claimed that announcements were being made by police on loudspeakers about promulgation of shoot-at-sight orders, but Deputy Commissioner of Police (Northeast) Ved Prakash Surya denied it. Over 200 people, including 48 police personnel, have been injured and half of the civilians have suffered gunshot wounds, hospital authorities said.

(With agency inputs)

For all the Latest Cities News, Delhi & NCR News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 26 Feb 2020, 09:00:21 AM