Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said the move is also aimed at celebrating 'community and pollution-free Diwali. (Photo Credit: Representative image)
The Delhi government will organise a four-day laser show starting from October 26 at Connaught Place, a move aimed to encourage people to not burst crackers this Diwali, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has said. He said the move is also aimed at celebrating 'community and pollution-free Diwali.
"Various laser shows will be organised from 6 pm to 10 pm from October 26 to October 29. I invite the people of Delhi to attend the event and celebrate Diwali without firecrackers," he said.
On his part, Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia said it will be a 'community Diwali' where there will be no pollution.
Traders in Connaught Place have approached Lt Governor Anil Baijal, asking him to restrict permission for assembly of crowds in open places like Central Park and provide adequate security arrangements in the area.
"We are apprehensive about the security aspect of Connaught Place as entire Delhi is being invited by Delhi government to come and enjoy the Diwali celebrations.
"As huge crowd is expected, there is a strong possibility of miscreants, eve teasers, pickpockets, chain snatchers and other anti-social elements taking advantage of the situation," the New Delhi Traders Association (NDTA) said in a letter to Baijal.
The letter said there has been a shootout in CP on Thursday morning and also there is a heightened terrorist threat in Delhi. The traders said even on December 31 when CP is made out of bounds for general public for security reasons, the area almost becomes like a fortress.
"We request that permission for assembly of crowd in open areas like Central Park be restricted. Tight security must be provided in the entire complex as we fear the slightest of incidents will bring a very bad image to Delhi police and government," the letter said.
The traders have been objecting the move to close some roads and parkings for the show saying it will affect their business.
The NDTA had earlier this week approached Delhi government and New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) officials to not allow pedestrianisation of inner circle.
(With PTI inputs)