The Supreme Court on Thursday said sealing of illegal and unauthorised construction in Delhi should be done without giving any advance notice. The top court has also sought the Centre’s response on discarding the rule which mandates 48 hours advance notice to be given to violators before taking action against them.
The Supreme Court on August 6 warned that those obstructing the government officials from carrying out the sealing of unauthorised and illegal constructions in the national Capital would be sent directly to the Tihar jail from the court.
Read More | Rafale Deal: Narendra Modi is 'corrupt', his role should be investigated, says Rahul Gandhi
The stern warning came from a bench of Justices Madan B Lokur and Deepak Gupta, which accepted an unconditional apology tendered by Mukesh Suryan, the chairman of the wards committee of the Najafgarh zone, against whom allegations were levelled that he had threatened the officials.
The Forum of MCD Engineers had alleged in the apex court that Suryan had threatened the officials when they had gone to seal unauthorised constructions as per directions of the court-mandated monitoring committee.
During the brief hearing, Suryan's counsel told the bench that an affidavit tendering unconditional apology has been filed by Suryan and he would not repeat any such thing in the future.
Also Read | Trump mocks #MeToo Movement: Campaign makes it improper to use the phrase 'the person who got away'
"Make sure that it is not repeated and if you will do it again, then come to the court with a suitcase as you will go directly to Tihar jail from here," the bench said.
The apex court had earlier warned against threats given to officials, who were carrying out sealing of unauthorised constructions, and said that such kind of 'dadagiri' (bullying tactics) would not work.
(With agency inputs)