The meeting called by CM Gehlot was attended by Rajasthan Health Minister Raghu Sharma, Chief Secretary DB Gupta. (Photo Credit: File photo)
The Rajasthan government on Friday announced that all schools, colleges, cinema halls, coaching centres, gymnasiums will remain closed till March 30 in the wake of coronavirus outbreak. This comes a day after states like Uttar Pradesh, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh adopted similar measures to curb the transmission of COVID-19. However, the ongoing examinations across schools and colleges and the functioning of medical and nursing colleges will continue in the state, officials said on Friday. The decision was taken at a high-level review meeting chaired by Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot.
Rajasthan Chief Minister's Office (CMO): Schools, colleges, coaching centers, gyms, & cinema halls in the state to remain closed till 30th March, as a precautionary measure amid #CoronavirusPandemic. Board examinations that are underway will be held as per schedule.— ANI (@ANI) March 14, 2020
The meeting called by CM Gehlot was attended by Rajasthan Health Minister Raghu Sharma, Chief Secretary DB Gupta, Additional Chief Secretary, Medical and Health, Rohit Kumar Singh and other officers.
CM Gehlot said that the state had been adopting measures as per the suggestions of the centre. He also appealed the people to invite a limited number of guests to functions to curb the outbreak of coronavirus.
Earlier, the Karnataka government announced that all malls, cinema halls, pubs, wedding ceremonies and other large gatherings will be banned for another one week in the state.
The Yogi Adityanath government in Uttar Pradesh also adopted slew of measures including the closure of all schools and colleges have been closed till March 22 in the state.
Moreover, India has reported two deaths due to coronavirus, the first being from Karnataka and the second from Delhi, so far.
According to latest reports, the number of novel coronavirus cases have gone up to 84 in the country, which includes a 76-year-old man who died in Karnataka and 68-year woman who lost life due to COVID-19 in Delhi.
However, the Health Ministry officials on Friday said that the situation so far is “not a health emergency”.
(With PTI inputs)