Mumbai: Panic Grips City After Reports Of Gas Leak Smell- What We Know So Far
Many Residents In Mumbai's Western And Eastern Suburbs - From Powai To Mira Road - Reported An Unknown Odour Prompting Rumours Of A Gas Leak.
Panic gripped several areas of Mumbai for a brief while after many residents in city's western and eastern suburbs complained of a gas-like smell late on Thursday night. Many residents in Mumbai's western and eastern suburbs - from Powai to Mira Road - reported an unknown odour prompting rumours of a gas leak at the Rashtriya Chemical Fertiliser's plant in the Chembur suburb. Some reports even suggested breach in the Mahanagar Gas Limited (MGL) piplelines. However, BMC, MGL or other authorities have so far not been able to trace any source of origin for the odour.
Here's what we know about the whole incident so far:
- The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said late Thursday that the odour was reported from Powai, Chembur, Mankhurd, Govandi, Chandivali, Andheri and Ghatkopar areas. A fire brigade spokesperson said the unknown odour was also reported from areas adjoining the Sanjay Gandhi National Park in northern suburb Borivli. Nine fire engines were send at various places to find out the source of leakage.
- The Mahanagar Gas Limited (MGL), which supplies piped gas in Mumbai, said in a statement that it had been receiving complaints of gas smell from various parts of Mumbai. Four emergency vans of MGL were also mobilised, the official said. "Our emergency teams have reached the sites from where the complaints have been received. So far, we have not come across any breach in our pipeline system which could result in leakage of gas," it said.
- BMC deployed fire engines at Deonar, Mankhurd, Chembur, Vikhroli, Dindoshi, Vile Parle, Kanivali and Dahisar areas in order to trace the origin of the reported gas leak. A total of 29 complaints were received by the 1916 control room regarding an unknown odour.
- On being asked about the breach in the pipeline system, MGL said, "So far we have not come across any breach in our pipeline system which could result in leakage of gas."
- People on Twitter complained of leak in various neighbourhoods in the city, right from Powai, Ghatkopar, Vile Parle, Goregaon East Powai, Andheri, etc. While some believed there was nothing to worry about, others said they have informed the authorities and asked people to stay safe.
First Published : 20 Sep 2019, 08:02:33 AM