Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan (Photo Credit: FIle Image)
The Kerala government on Monday declared novel coronavirus epidemic as a "state calamity" with a third student testing positive for the infection in the state. State Health Minister K K Shailaja told reporters that the government has declared the epidemic as a “state calamity” to take all necessary steps to ensure the outbreak is effectively controlled.
The decision was taken at the apex committee of the State Disaster Management Authority chaired by Chief Secretary Tom Jose.
India reported a third case of novel coronavirus on Monday with another person from Kerala, who recently returned from China, testing positive for the infection, the Health Ministry said. “The patient has tested positive for novel coronavirus and is in isolation in the hospital. The patient is stable and is being closely monitored,” the ministry said.
The patient has a travel history from Wuhan, epicentre of the outbreak, in China. The Health Ministry on Monday updated its travel advisory, which was issued on Sunday, and asked people to refrain from travelling to China in view of the deadly coronavirus outbreak in its Hubei province and said travellers on return from the neighbouring country could be quarantined.
As many as 130 samples have been tested of which 128 have been found to be negative so far. India has so far reported two positive cases of nCoV from Kerala.
China's state anti-doping agency (CHINADA) “temporarily” suspended testing on Monday less than six months before the Tokyo Olympics in response to the coronavirus outbreak, the International Testing Agency (ITA) told AFP.
“The situation is one of caution so as not to endanger athletes or test officials and while recognising the importance of anti-doping activities, the priorities are to maintain public health for all,” said the ITA.
The Olympics start on July 24.
CHINADA “will gradually resume testing as soon as the situation improves,” the ITA said, adding that it was examining whether “private providers” could conduct tests.
The Chinese authorities reported 57 new deaths from the virus on Monday, taking the tally to 360 since the virus was detected late last year in the central city of Wuhan, where it is believed to have jumped from animals.
The virus has spread to more than 24 countries.
A string of sports events in China have been cancelled.
All domestic football has been suspended and among the events either cancelled or postponed are the World Indoor athletics championships, Tokyo Olympics boxing and women’s basketball qualifiers and cycling’s Tour of Hainan.
Also cancelled are snooker’s China Open, badminton’s China Masters and golf’s LPGA Blue Bay tournament. The Chinese Formula E Grand Prix on March 21 was called off on Sunday.