News Nation Logo

CBSE introduces internal assessment of 20 marks for class 12 Mathematics

As Per The Proposed Assessment Plan, Subjects Like Mathematics Will Have Internal Assessment Component Of At Least 20 Marks.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Pallavi Singh | Updated on: 08 Mar 2019, 11:45:59 PM
CBSE introduces internal assessment of 20 marks for class 12 Mathematics. (File Photo)

New Delhi:

The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has revised its assessment and evaluation practices in order to encourage creative and critical thinking among students. The move comes after the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) decided to participate in PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment) in 2021.

CBSE said, "It is a necessity now that 'assessment of learning' must be augmented with 'assessment as learning' and 'assessment for learning.’’

In addition, the poor performance of class 10 students in National Assessment Survey (2017-18) is another reason for bringing in changes in the assessment and evaluation practices. ''Report card of the National Assessment Survey (2017-18) has indicated that the performance of CBSE class X students in Mathematics, Science, Social Science, English and Modern Indian Language is 52%, 51%, 53%, 58% and 62% respectively. Although this competency-based survey places the CBSE students above the national average, it indicates that there is ample scope for improvement in their performance."

As per the proposed assessment plan, subjects like Mathematics will have internal assessment component of at least 20 marks. Till now, CBSE used to conduct examination for 100 marks for subjects such as Mathematics, Political Science, and Legal Studies.

Additionally, the board exam papers will have objective component in question paper from next year. Minimum 25% marks will be allotted to objective type questions. On the other hand, 75% marks will be allotted to subjective questions. The proposed changes will be implemented from the upcoming academic year which will start in April 2019.

For all the Latest Education News, Board Exams News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 08 Mar 2019, 11:45:21 PM

Related Tags:

CBSE CBSE Practical