In JNU, Left Remains 'Right' Choice: Who Is Aishe Ghosh -- New JNUSU President?
Saket Moon Was Elected JNUSU Vice President And Bagged 3,365 Votes. Moon Defeated ABVP's Shruti Agnihotri, Who Got 1,335 Votes.
The united front of Left student groups AISA, SFI, AISF, DSF won all the four central panel posts in the Jawaharlal Nehru University Students' Union (JNUSU) elections, the election committee announced on Tuesday. The grouping's presidential candidate Aishe Ghosh defeated Manish Jangid of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) by bagging 2,313 votes. Jangid got 1,128 votes.
Saket Moon was elected JNUSU vice president and bagged 3,365 votes. Moon defeated ABVP's Shruti Agnihotri, who got 1,335 votes. Satish Chandra Yadav was elected general secretary. He polled 2,518 votes to defeat Sabareesh PA, who got 1355 votes.
Md Danish was elected joint secretary with 3,295 votes and he defeated Sumanta Kumar Sahu.
The voter turnout JNUSU election held on Friday was 67.9 per cent, believed to be the highest in seven years. Over 5,700 students cast their votes.
Who is Aishe Ghosh?
- Aishe Ghosh belongs to the industrial city of Durgapur in West Bengal.
- Aishe is pursuing MPhil from the School of International Studies.
- She graduated from the University in Delhi in Political Science (honours) in 2016.
- She was a two-time convenor in the School of International Studies and was already involved with the political happenings in the campus.
- In an interview with The New Indian Express, Aishe said the decision to file contest for the presidential post was only taken a few weeks before filing the nominations.
- Known for her powerful orating skill, she has accused the government of diluting the RTI Act, Transgender Rights Bill, and alleged human rights violation in Kashmir.
First Published : 17 Sep 2019, 08:37:13 PM