News Nation Logo

PM Modi says will never forgive Pragya Singh Thakur for 'insulting Bapu' after Godse controversy

Nathuram Godse Was A Deshbhakt (patriot), Is A 'deshbhakt' And Will Remain A 'deshbhakt', Pragya Thakur Had Said On Thursday.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Surabhi Pandey | Updated on: 17 May 2019, 04:28:48 PM

New Delhi:

Amid massive controversy over Mahatma Gandhi’s assassin Nathuram Godse, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday said that he will never forgive Pragya Singh Thakur for insulting ‘Bapu’. The Malegaon blast accused, who is the BJP’s contestant from Madhya Pradesh capital Bhopal, on Thursday had said that "Nathuram Godse was a deshbhakt (patriot), is a 'deshbhakt' and will remain a 'deshbhakt'. People calling him a terrorist should instead look within, such people will be given a fitting reply in the election." Thakur, who is out on bail since 2017, is known for making controversial statements.

Not to be left behind, Congress chief took a sharp swipe at both BJP and RSS. “I finally got it. The BJP and the RSS... Are not God-Ke Lovers. They are God-Se Lovers,” Gandhi said on Twitter. Meanwhile, BJP leader Anil Saumitra was suspended from primary membership of the party over his social media post calling Mahatma Gandhi father of Pakistan. The party asks him to reply in 7 days.

In a related development, Amit Shah on Friday came out strongly against the controversial remarks of his party leaders, Pragya Singh Thakur, Union Minister Anant Kumar Hegde and MP Nalin Kumar Kateel, over Nathuram Godse, saying the BJP has taken serious note of their statements, which are against its ideology.

Thakur’s legal troubles are also mounting. A Special NIA Court in Mumbai on Friday directed Thakur, Lt Col Prasad Purohit and all other accused of Malegaon 2008 blast case to remain present before the court at least once a week.  The National Investigation Agency (NIA) Court, which expressed displeasure over their absence in the courtroom, has set May 20 as the next date of hearing.  Six people were killed and over 100 injured when an explosive device strapped to a motorcycle went off near a mosque in Malegaon, a town about 200 km from here in north Maharashtra, on September 29, 2008.    

In October last year, a special court had framed charges under the UAPA against Purohit, Sadhvi Pragya and some other accused persons in the case.

For all the Latest Election News, Lok Sabha Election 2019 News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 17 May 2019, 04:28:48 PM