SBSP chief Omprakash Rajbhar has claimed the SP-BSP-RLD alliance will win more seats than BJP in the state. (File Photo: ANI)
Suheldev Bhartiya Samaj Party chief Om Prakash Rajbhar has extended support to SP-BSP alliance candidate in Maharajganj, and Congress’s candidate in Mirzapur.
According to reports, Rajbhar – who is a cabinet minister in BJP-led Uttar Pradesh government – said that that he has decided to support that party which will defeat the BJP candidate.
Congress has fielded Lalitesh Pati Tripathi from Mirzapur. Apna Dal (Sonelal) leader and Union Minister Anupriya Patel is seeking reelection from Mirzapur.
Apna Dal-S had won two seats in Uttar Pradesh - Pratapgarh and Mirzapur - in 2014 elections.
The Apna Dal (Sonelal) is a breakaway faction of the Apna Dal, which was founded in 1995 by Sone Lal Patel. The Apna Dal (Sonelal) was founded by Jawahar Lal Patel, who was also a founding member of the Apna Dal. The Apna Dal has claimed support among the non-OBC communities such as the Kurmis.
In Maharajganj constituency, the SP-BSP-RLD alliance has fielded Akhilesh Singh.
Earlier, the SBSP chief claimed the SP-BSP-RLD alliance will win more seats than BJP in the state. He also claimed that the BJP was worried over Congress chief Rahul Gandhi's continuous attacks on it.
Rajbhar has fielded candidates on some 40 of the 80 Lok Sabha seats in the state after he failed to have an understanding with the BJP for Lok Sabha polls and has making adverse comments against the bigger NDA partner.
Rajbhar even claimed that he had resigned from the Yogi Adityanath government and it was up to the saffron party to decide on it.
"I tendered resignation as minister on April 13. It is up to the BJP to decide whether to accept or reject it," Rajbhar had said.
The SBSP chief alleged the BJP was misusing his party's name and flag in the election under way. "Even during Prime Minister Narendra Modi's roadshow, they were used. I have filed a complaint in this regard with the Election Commission," Rajbhar said.
Last month, he said his party will contest the Lok Sabha election in the state alone and announced candidates on 39 seats, prompting BJP leader and Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya to say that "Rajbhar has has been with the BJP and will remain with it".