Following Kangana Ranaut directorial debut in Manikarnika: The Queen of Jhansi earlier this year, reports suggested that the actor may have also have a part in the director’s seat for her upcoming "Mental Hai Kya". The rumours all started when it was reported that Kangana has been interfering with the shooting of the film and was unhappy with some of the scenes, which had to be re-shot, thus causing the delay in the release of the movie.
An Asian Age source reported, ‘’After Kangana saw the footage, she was not happy with the way her role had shaped up. She also felt that her co-star Rajkummar Rao stole many of the scenes. Kangana wanted those scenes to be re-shot.”
“We must understand that Kangana is no longer satisfied with just being an actor on her sets. She wants to participate in every aspect of her film’s evolution. And why not? If it’s okay for Aamir Khan and Salman Khan to direct the director, why is it so shocking when Kangana does the same?” the source added.
Mental Hai Kya director Prakash Kovelamudi have come forward to clear the air surround the rumours. Branding the reports as "baseless, the director in a statement released by the makers said, "Kangana was an actor; a professional one, and a creative asset."
"Both Kangana and Rajkummar Rao are powerhouse performers, whom I enjoyed directing. I am happy to see how their characters have turned out. 'Mental Hai Kya' is an intriguing thriller with doses of quirk. The film challenges the norms, and I am thrilled to bring to the audience something original," he added.
The director denied reports about portions of the film being re-shot and said, "We finished the first leg in Mumbai, the second in London, and the last one in Mumbai again. The final schedule was wrapped last month. That's all. All other conjecture is baseless."
Produced by Shobha Kapoor, Ekta Kapoor and Shaailesh R Singh, "Mental Hai Kya" is scheduled to release on July 26.