Madhubala Birth Anniversary: From Refusing Hollywood Break To Directorial Aspiration, Here Are Lesser Known Facts About Actress
On Madhubala's Birth Anniversary Here Are A Few Lesser-known Facts About The ‘the Venus Of Indian Cinema’ Actress.
Madhubala (Photo Credit: Instagram@madhubalagoogle)
Revered for her personality, beauty and fine portrayal of tragic characters on screen Madhubala is the torch bearer of the golden years of Indian cinema. With 70 odd films in her career span of 22 years, Madhubala truly epitomises a new standard of women empowerment during times when it was least pronounced. On her birth anniversary here are a few lesser known facts about the ‘the Venus of Indian Cinema’ actress.
Madhubala made her screen debut when she was all of 9 years old. She made her acting debut in Basant and went on to bag a film Neel Kamal as lead with Raj Kapoor in the year 1947.
- Born as Mumtaz Jehan Begum Dehlavi, Madhubala changed her name on insistence by fellow actor Devika Rani. In Neel Kamal she was credited with her original name.
- Madhubala was photographer by US based photo journalist James Burke, for Life Magazine. Crossover cinema was not even a thing then.
- Madhubala refused a Hollywood break offered by filmmaker Frank Capra.
- Madhubala didn’t have a formal education as she started working early at an early age. But her zeal for education made her learn English when she was 17 and driving at the age of 12.
- Titled Chalaak, her last film opposite Raj Kapoor, had to be shelved because of her illness. The film was supposed to release in 1966 but the film was left incomplete even at the time of her death.
- Madhubala was all set to debut as the first woman filmmaer in Indian cinemas with the film with the film Farz Aur Ishq but death took her away.
Meanwhile Imtiaz Ali who wanted to make a biopic on Madhubala had to step back because of lack from approval from her immediate family
First Published : 14 Feb 2020, 10:51:26 AM