News Nation Logo

Anu Malik Sexual Harassment Row: National Commission of Women Closes Case For Lack of Evidence

NCW Maintained That They Are Willing To Reopen The Case Against Anu Malik If She Comes Forward Or Brings More Evidence To Establish Her Case.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Shriparna Saha | Updated on: 17 Jan 2020, 09:55:05 AM
Anu Malik

Anu Malik (Photo Credit: Instagram)

New Delhi:

Sexual harassment case against music composer Anu Malik’s who had to step down as Indian Idol judge last year November over incessant outcry by social activists has been closed by National Commission of Women after complainant failed to furnish ‘communication/substantial evidence’. The commission however maintained that they are willing to reopen case if she comes forward or brings more evidence to establish her case.

Anu Malik has been mired in controversy over the last two years, since the #MeToo movement exploded in India. Several women, including singers Sona Mohapatra, Shweta Pandit, Caralisa Monteiro, Neha Bhasin and former Indian Idol producer Danica D’Souza accused of sexually inappropriate behaviour. After his return for the 11th season of the Sony TV show last November, the makers were slammed for taking him back.

It quoted NCW chairperson Rekha Sharma as saying, “Responding to a complaint, we wrote to the complainant. She said she was travelling and whenever she returns, she will visit us. We waited for around 45 days. We had also asked for some documents, but after that she never responded. The complainant had informed us that there are more women who have complaints against Anu Malik and we told her that they can also file a complaint with us but none of them have responded yet. This is not a permanent closure of the case. If the complainant comes forward or brings more evidence or submits any kind of document, we can reopen it.”

The tabloid also claimed that Barnali Shome, Under Secretary, NCW, had written a letter to Madhuri Malhotra, head, Standards & Practices, Sony Pictures Networks India Private Limited dated January 3, 2020. In her letter, she stated that the NCW had taken cognizance of Sona’s (Mohapatra) Twitter post alleging that ignoring the testimonies of multiple women of sexual harassment and assault, a person (Anu Malik) was made “a judge for youngsters on national television”, the report added.

The commission had earlier taken suo-motu cognizance of this matter and send a notice to Sony Entertainment Television @sharmarekha @MinistryWCD @PMOIndia."

Also Read: Sona Mohapatra Responds To Anu Malik’s Open Letter: Go To A Sex-Rehab Or Counselling

The commission mentioning singer Sona Mohapatra's tweet asked the channel to clarify what action was taken on the same. It reads, "The National Commission for Women has come across a Twitter post of Ms Sona Mohapatra wherein it has been alleged that Sony TV has ignored the testimonies of multiple women against a person regarding sexual harassment and assault has further been made a judge for youngsters on national television."

For all the Latest Entertainment News, Music News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 17 Jan 2020, 09:55:05 AM