Defence Minister Niramala Sitharaman on Friday said the 2+2 dialogue with the US will be held in the first week of September.
“The 2+2 dialogue with US is to happen in the first week of September. The agenda will be to develop and strengthen strategic defence cooperation and to follow-on with what had transpired during the meeting with Secretary Defence Mattis,” ANI quoted Sitharaman as saying.
Last month, the US had postponed the ‘2+2 dialogue’ with India, which was scheduled to be held on July 6 in Washington, citing “unavoidable reasons”.
MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar had earlier said that US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sought EAM Sushma Swaraj’s understanding, and they agreed to identify new mutually convenient dates to hold the Dialogue at the earliest, in India or the US.
The External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj along with Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, was scheduled to visit the US for high-level dialogue with their American counterparts - US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Secretary of Defence James Mattis.