Taking a serious note of the incident, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has ordered a probe into the incident. (Image Credit: PTI)
At least 50 students were hospitalised after they were electrocuted in a primary school in Naya Nagar Vishnupur area of Uttar Pradesh’s Balrampur district. According to reports, the students got injured when a high-tension wire fell inside the school campus. Taking a serious note of the incident, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has ordered a probe into the incident.
"Strict action will be initiated against those showing laxity in this regard," Adityanath said.
The incident took place on Monday morning when students were sitting on gunny bags on the ground. At around 10 am, the wire fell into the school. Though the students were at a distance they came in contact with the electricity because of the rainwater collected in the compound.
The chief minister ordered the District Magistrate of Balrampur to provide medical aid to the affected children, while directing the Managing Director of Madhyanchal Vidyut Vitran Nigam to probe the matter and take action against the guilty within 24 hours.
He also directed Principal Secretary Energy and MD, UP Power Corporation to run a campaign to safeguard people from high-tension wires and repair them wherever needed.
Meanwhile, two employees of the Power Department were suspended and a departmental inquiry was ordered against the junior engineer concerned.
Karunesh said the basic education officer and executive engineer of the Power Department were issued directions to conduct a survey of schools and remove any such wires passing over them.
With PTI Inputs