News Nation Logo


7-yr-old dengue patient dies, Gurugram hospital billed parents Rs 16 lakh; Nadda orders probe

He Claimed That Gurugram's Fortis Hospital Charged Them Of Rs 16 Lakh For 15-day Dengue Treatment Of Their Daughter Who Later Succumbed To The Disease.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Vikas Mehta | Updated on: 21 Nov 2017, 01:29:08 PM

New Delhi:

Union Health Minister J P Nadda on Monday asked members of a patient, who reportedly died of dengue recently, to send all details to his ministry as serious allegations were levelled against a Gurgaon-based private hospital of overcharging the victim.

 Nadda has also asked Health Secretary to probe the matter.

"It was an unfortunate incident. The government has taken cognizance of the incident and has sought a detailed report from Fortis hospital, action will be taken," said Union Health Minister JP Nadda. 

The victim’s father demanded a through probe into the matter, saying that they would not like other people to suffer like they did.

He claimed that Gurugram's Fortis hospital charged them of Rs 16 lakh for 15-day Dengue treatment of their daughter who later succumbed to the disease.

“I want to appeal for an investigation and if any changes are required in the laws, they should be made. Would not like other people to suffer like we did,” the victim’s father said.

A Twitter user @DopeFloat in a post on a microblogging site alleged that the hospital “charged Rs 16 lakh” for 15 days of treatment of dengue for a young daughter of his friend.

The tweet later went viral on social media.

“One of my batchmate’s 7 year old was in @fortis_hospital

for ~15 days for Dengue. Billed 18 lakhs including for 2700 gloves. She passed away at the end of it...,” he tweeted.

After the post was widely circulated on social media, the Union health minister on twitter said: “Please provide me details on . We will take all the necessary action.”

Meanwhile, Fortis hospital in a statement claimed that “all standard medical protocols were followed in treating the patient and all clinical guidelines were adhered to”.

“She was admitted with Severe Dengue which progressed to Dengue shock syndrome and was managed on IV fluids and supportive treatment as there was a progressive fall in platelet count and hemoconcentration.

“As her condition deteriorated, she had to be put on ventilatory support within 48 hours,” the hospital said in a statement.

On September 14, the family decided to “take her away from the hospital against medical advice (LAMA Leave Against Medical Advice) and she succumbed the same day,” it said.

The hospital said an itemised bill “spread over 20 pages was explained and handed over to the family” at the time of their departure from the hospital.

All consumables are transparently reflected in records and charged as per actuals, it claimed. (with PTI inputs)

For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 21 Nov 2017, 10:05:44 AM

Related Tags:

Gurugram Fortis