Ambedkar Jayanti: Here Are Some Interesting Facts Of About 'Father Of Indian Constitution'
Ambedkar Jayanti Is Celebrated All Across The Country On April 14th Of Every Year To Commemorate The Birth Anniversary Of Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar, Also Known As Dr B.R. Ambedkar And Babasaheb Ambedkar.
Interesting Facts Of About Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar (Photo Credit: File Photo - PTI Image)
Ambedkar Jayanti is celebrated all across the country on April 14th of every year to commemorate the birth anniversary of Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar, also known as Dr B.R. Ambedkar and Babasaheb Ambedkar. It is to be noted that Ambedkar was born on the 14th of April, 1891. In 2015, this day was declared as a public holiday across the nation. He is known as the architect of ‘The Constitution of India’, ‘First Law Minister’, ‘Indian Jurist’, and also a ‘Social Reformer’. Not just for ‘Dalits’, Ambedkar strived hard for ‘Indians’ globally.
Why Ambedkar Jayanti Is Celebrated?
Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar taught us equality, fraternity, and assured us freedom of speech and expression. He gave us the biggest written Constitution. Ambedkar enlightened the world, strived for welfare of society brought revolution and ignited million hearts. Indians celebrate the birth anniversary of Dr B.R. Ambedkar with great fervor and zeal to honor his efforts and contributions in uplifting the Dalit community. He also wrote the ‘Constitution of India’. Ambedkar also held number of movements including Anti-caste movement, Dalit Buddhist movement, temple entry movement, etc.
How is Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Jayanti Celebrated?
On the birth anniversary of Babasaheb Ambedkar, also known as Ambedkar Jayanti, his followers carry processions in some parts of the country, specifically in Mumbai. President of India, Prime Minister, followers and public pay tribute to Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar. Moreover, in several places including schools and colleges, various seminars are held addressing the social causes. In Uttar Pradesh’s Varanasi, quizzes, sports, academic and cultural activities are held during Ambedkar Jayanti. At Baba Mahashamshan Nath Temple, the celebrations are held for three days.
Interesting facts of legendary Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar
- During his childhood, Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar suffered bitter humiliation at the hands of upper caste. However, he later became the first Law Minister in free India and shaped the country’s Constitution.
- Babasaheb Ambedkar’s original name was actually Ambavadekar. But his teacher, Mahadev Ambedkar, who was fond of him, changed his surname from ‘Ambavadekar’ to his own surname ‘Ambedkar’ in school records.
- Dr Ambedkar first conceptualized the guidelines, working style, and outlook of Reserve Bank of India in front of the Hilton Young Commission.
- He also held the position of a principal at the Government Law College, Mumbai for 2 years.
- Ambedkar was the first Indian to pursue an Economics doctorate degree abroad.
- Dr Ambedkar suggested the division of Madhya Pradesh into northern and southern states. Moreover, he had suggested division of Bihar way back in 1955 for the better development of states.
- Along with Dr Ambedkar, more than half a million embraced Buddhism leaving behind the inhuman caste practice of Hinduism.
- At the 7th Session of Indian Labour conference, Ambedkar changed the working hours in India from 14 hours to 8 hours.
- Ambedkar’s autobiography named ‘Waiting for a Visa’ which he wrote during 1935-36 is used as a textbook in the Columbia
- Ambedkar had opposed Article 370 of the Indian constitution which gives special status to the state of Jammu & Kashmir.
- Dr Ambedkar was bestowed with Bharat Ratna in 1990.
Also Read: Constitution Day 2019: Here's Why India Celebrates Samvidhan Divas On November 26
Famous Quotes By Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar
- “Cultivation of mind should be the ultimate aim of human existence”.
- “Be Educated, Be Organised and Be Agitated”.
- “Life should be great rather than long”.
- “Knowledge is the foundation of a man’s life”.
- “Religion is for man and not man for religion”.
- “They cannot make history who forget history”.
- “I like the religion that teaches liberty, equality, and fraternity”
- “One whose mind is not free though alive is no better than dead”.
- “If you believe in living a respectable life, you believe in self-help which is the best help”.
- “Men are mortal. So are ideas. An idea needs propagation as much as a plant needs watering. Otherwise, both will wither and die.”
For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
First Published : 23 Mar 2020, 08:12:28 AM