News Nation Logo

Anupama murder case: Dehradun court sentences life term to techie who chopped wife into 70 pieces

Rajesh Galati, Then 37, Who Chopped His Wife Seven Years Ago Has Been Held Guilty And Sentenced Life Term By A Dehradun Court On Friday.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Deepak Mahato | Updated on: 01 Sep 2017, 05:28:58 PM
Dehradun court sentences techie who chopped wife into 70 pieces sentenced to life imprisonment. (Representative Image)

New Delhi:

Rajesh Galati, then 37, who chopped his wife seven years ago has been held guilty and sentenced life term by a Dehradun court on Friday.

Rajesh, a software engineer by profession, had murdered his wife Anupama  in October 2010 and chopped her body into 70 pieces using an electric saw in 2010. He had hid the chopped body parts in a deep freezer for two months before disposing them in a forested area in the outskirts of Dehradun.

Rajesh along with his wife Anupama was living in Dehradun with their two children since 2009.

Additional District and Sessions Judge Vinod Kumar on Thursday held Gulati guilty under IPC Sections 302 (murder) and 201 (destroying evidence).

The Anupama’s brother Sujan filed a missing complaint with the Dehradun Police after he did not hear from his sister for two months in December 12,2010.

The brutal murder had then sent shockwaves in Dehradun after the brutal murder came to surface.

According to police investigation records Rajesh and Anupama had moved to United States after getting married in 1999. But after their return to Dehradun in 2008, their relationship started getting strained. Anupama used to charge Rajesh of having an extramarital affair with a woman from Kolkata.

Rajesh, then 37, had killed his wife Anupama in their two-room rented house at Prakash Nagar in Dehradun Cantonment area after a fight. Rajesh to hide evidences of the murder bought an electric saw from the market and chopped up his wife's body into 70 pieces.

Later he packed his wife’s body parts in polythene bags and stored them in a deep freezer. To prevent suspicion of the murder he kept throwing away the polythene bags, one at a time, at various locations on the outskirts of the city.

Rajesh stayed in the same house for two months and kept telling his children — twins — that their mother had gone to Delhi until one day Anupama’s brother visited the rented house.

Sujan filed a missing complaint with the Cantonment Police station after suspecting foul play. Police raided Rajesh’s house and then had recovered severed parts of Anupama’s body, including her head from the deep freezer.

For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 01 Sep 2017, 05:28:58 PM