The nation is remembering former Prime Minister late Atal Bihari Vajpayee on his 95th birth anniversary today on 25 December. Vajpayee was one of the most admired, respected and loved politicians of India. He was the first non-Congress politician to complete a five-year tenure as Prime Minister of India. He was lauded as a statesman politician whose acceptability across the party lines brought the once untouchable, led the BJP to the centre stage of politics in the late 90s.
Atal Bihari Vajpayee was elected as the prime minister of India three times. He first became the PM in 1996. However, his minority government could only last for 13 days due to lack of majority. He returned to power in 1998 but government collapsed after 13 months. He was again re-elected as PM in 1999 and became the first non-Congress leader to complete his full five-year tenure as PM.
Vajpayee was an orator par excellence and a passionate poet of repute. His poetry was full of passion and patriotism and inspired thousands.
Here are some inspirational quotes by Atal Bihari Vajpayee:
1. Mere Prabhu! Mujhe Itni Oonchai Kabhi Mat Dena, Gairon Ko Gale Na Laga Sakoon, Itni Rukhai Mat Dena
2. Maut Ki Umr Kya Hai? Do Pal Bhi Nahi, Zindagi Silsila, Aaj Kal Ki Nahi
3. Haar Nahi Manunga, Raar Nahi Thanunga
4. For me, power was never an attraction
5. Our aim may be as high as the endless sky, but we should have a resolve in our minds to walk ahead, hand-in-hand, for victory will be ours.
6. If India is not secular, then India is not India at all
7. You can change friends but not neighbours
8. We are unnecessarily wasting our precious resources in wars... if we must wage war, we have to do it on unemployment, disease, poverty, and backwardness
9. Truth cannot be hidden for fear that somebody would exploit it
10. Victory and defeat are a part of life, which are to be viewed with equanimity