The Indian government will approach Pakistan’s foreign ministry over missing soldier Chavan’s release. Indian Army soldier Chandu Babulal Chavan of 37 Rashtriya Rifles was on Thursday captured by Pakistani army after he inadvertently crossed the Line of Control (LoC).
Earlier, Indian DGMO, Ranbir Singh had talked to his Pakistani counterpart for the return of Sepoy Chandu Babulal Chavan but all efforts of Indian army went futile as the Pak authorities are yet to respond.
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) had so far kept away from Chavan’s case, allowing the army to handle the situation.
Indian government and the Army had claimed that the soldier had no role in the surgical strikes that took hours before his ‘crossing’. It added that such crossings by civilians and soldiers were not uncommon.
A 37 Rashtriya Rifles sepoy, Chavan was posted in the Mendhar sector in J&K when he was reported missing hours after the surgical strikes.
On October 2, defence minister Manohar Parrikar had said that a ‘well established mechanism through the DGMO’ had been activated to seek Chavan’s release. He had also said that since the situation was tense, it would take some time to bring him back.