News Nation Logo

Bulandshahr violence: As many as 350 people attacked cops, says eyewitness policeman

Protestors From Mahaw Village Pelted Stones On Police And Indulged In Arson, Setting Ablaze Several Vehicles And Police Station

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Srishty Choudhury | Updated on: 04 Dec 2018, 11:13:10 AM
Akhlaq was beaten to death on the night of September 28, 2015, in Bisara village by a mob infuriated by rumours that he and his family had stored and consumed beef. (Photo: ANI)

New Delhi:

A sub-inspector who was an eyewitness to the killing of inspector Subodh Kumar Singh, the investigation officer (IO) who was instrumental in getting meat samples to the lab on time in the Akhlaq lynching case in Dadri in 2015, said that as many as 350 people attacked the entire police force on Monday. Talking about the series of events that took place in Bulandshahr, sub-inspector Suresh Kumar said that they received an information about a rampaging mob protesting alleged illegal cow slaughter. He said that upon reaching the spot, they told the protestors that they will send the carcass for a post-mortem examination but nothing they said could pacify the mob. The torched a police post and clashed with the cops.

Speaking to news agency ANI, Suresh Kumar said, “The crowd jammed the road and started pelting stones at the police. There were as many as 300-350 people and the entire police force was attacked. I, too, was hurt and don’t know what happened after that.”

Read More | Bulandshahr: Slain inspector Subodh Kumar Singh was investigating officer in Akhlaq lynching case 

Protestors from the Mahaw village and nearby areas pelted stones on police and indulged in arson, setting ablaze several vehicles and Chingarwathi Police Chowki, after some body parts of cows were found in a jungle near the village, prompting the police to open fire. The violence started at around 10 am in the Siana area in the district where a major three-day Islamic congregation had concluded this afternoon. The policemen warned against attempts to spread any misleading information, saying the incident was not related in any way to the congregation. Inspector Singh suffered a gunshot injury in addition to wounds from hard and blunt objects. Another local youth, identified as Sumit, too suffered a gunshot injury and later succumbed at the hospital. Reports suggest there were widespread allegations of corruption against Singh.

As tension prevailed in the area following the violence that lasted nearly three hours, additional police, including over 1,000 personnel of anti-riot forces were deployed. The Uttar Pradesh government ordered multiple investigations by SIT, ADG-Intelligence and a magisterial inquiry.

Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath said strict action will be taken against the guilty after the investigation reports are received. The government also announced a total of Rs 50-lakh assistance --- Rs 40 lakh would be given to Singh’s wife and Rs 10 lakh to his parents.

Also Read | PM Modi in Telangana: Congress, TRS 'two sides of same coin', state may witness post-poll alliance

Akhlaq was beaten to death on the night of September 28, 2015, in Bisara village near the Dadri district by a mob infuriated by rumours that he and his family had stored and consumed beef.

For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 04 Dec 2018, 07:51:28 AM