In view of several difficulties faced by some of the taxpayers, the Central Board of Direct Taxation (CBDT) on Tuesday extended the last date for Aadhaar-PAN linking till June 30.
The move came after Supreme Court, earlier in March directed the extension of the March 31 deadline for linking Aadhaar with various other services.
However, all the taxpayers need to link their Aadhaar/ Enrolment Number with their Permanent Account Number (PAN), under the provisions of Section 139 AA (2) of the Income Tax Act.
As per the newly introduced act, every person having PAN as on July 1, 2017, and eligible to obtain Aadhaar, must intimate his Aadhaar number to the tax authorities. Customers will not be able to get their tax returns processed by the department in case they fail to link Aadhaar with PAN by the latest deadline.
The apex court ordered for the extension of the deadline till the five-judge constitution bench delivers its judgment on petitions challenging the validity of the biometric scheme and the enabling law. The government has now made quoting of Aadhaar mandatory for filing income tax returns (ITRs) as well as obtaining a new PAN.
As per updated data till March 5, over 16.65 crore PANs, out of the total about 33 crore, have been linked with Aadhaar.
Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) extends the deadline for linking of Aadhaar with PAN till June 30 pic.twitter.com/8VNfBfQa0K— ANI (@ANI) March 27, 2018
However, if you are yet to link your Aadhar with Permanent Account Number then you should go through the following steps in order to complete the process.
Check out the steps:
1. Go to www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
2. A pop-up will appear on your screen and will ask you to Link with Aadhaar card. If you are using a pop-up blocker, then click on Link Aadhaar option on the left side.
3. You will be redirected to a page where you need to submit all your details such as PAN, Aadhaar number, Name as per Aadhaar. If your Aadhaar application is under process, then you can submit the Application number issued by UIDAI.
4. Verify the 'Captcha Code' and click on the green-coloured button showing 'Link Aadhaar'
5. After successful validation of your Aadhaar, it will get automatically linked to your PAN card. A pop-up on your screen will confirm the same.
6. Income Tax Department will also send you an SMS or email in order to notify the same.