News Nation Logo

Congress Leader Udit Raj Sparks Row With 'Another Pulwama Before 2024' Remark

While Taking A Swipe At The Ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) On Friday, Congress Leader Udit Raj On Friday Gave A Controversial Statement Saying Pulwama-like Incident Can Occur Before 2024.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Anurag Singh | Updated on: 15 Feb 2020, 01:02:32 PM
Udit Raj

Udit Raj Sparks Row With 'Another Pulwama Before 2024' Remark (Photo Credit: File Photo - PTI Image)

New Delhi:

While taking a swipe at the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Friday, Congress leader Udit Raj on Friday gave a controversial statement saying Pulwama-like incident can occur before 2024. Udit Raj also alleged that BJP won the 2019 Lok Sabha elections by making Pulwama terror attack an election issue. On February 14, 2019, in one of the deadliest terror attacks, a Jaish suicide bomber rammed a vehicle carrying over 100 kg of explosives into a CRPF bus in Pulwama district that also left many critically wounded.

Udit Raj further justified the statement of Rahul Gandhi, in which the former Congress president had raised questions about the Pulwama attack. In a tweet, Udit Raj said “I support Rahul Gandhiji that why hasn't been any outcome of investigation of Pulwama attack so far? When intelligence input was there not to move CRPF by road &HomeMinistry was requested to give permission to lift them by air, why wasn't done&that meant it was allowed to happen.”

“After the Pulwama attack BJP started candle march all over &it was surprising that the task of opposition was grabbed by ruling party . Opposition missed the opportunity at that time, however, now Rahul Gandhi ji has asked even if it is late,” he added.

Earlier, in the day, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi while paying tribute to over 40 CRPF personnel who were killed in Jammu and Kashmir last year questioned the ruling BJP over outcome of the inquiry into the attack.

Taking to Twitter, Rahul Gandhi wrote, “Today as we remember our 40 CRPF martyrs in the PulwamaAttack , let us ask: 1. Who benefitted the most from the attack? 2. What is the outcome of the inquiry into the attack? 3. Who in the BJP Govt has yet been held accountable for the security lapses that allowed the attack? (sic).”

Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) claimed responsibility of Pulwama attack

The Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed terror group claimed responsibility for the Pulwama attack that took place about 20 km from Srinagar. More than 2,500 Central Reserve Police Force personnel, many of them returning from leave to rejoin duty in the Valley, were travelling in the convoy of 78 vehicles when they were ambushed on the Srinagar-Jammu highway at Latoomode in Awantipora in south Kashmir around 3.15 pm.

Also Read: Congress Leader Udit Raj Mocks ISRO Scientists For Losing Contact With Lander Vikram

Police later identified the suicide bomber as Adil Ahmed, who officials said joined the Jaish in 2018. He was driving a vehicle packed with tonnes of explosives on the wrong side of the road and hit the bus, in which 39-44 personnel were travelling. The powerful explosion, which reduced the bus to a mangled heap of iron, was heard many kilometres away, including in some parts of Srinagar adjoining Pulwama district. Body parts could be seen strewn around the area.

For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 15 Feb 2020, 01:02:32 PM