Corruption proved in AgustaWestland deal, itâ€™s time for UPA to act: Parrikar in Rajya Sabha
There Should Be A Supreme Court Monitored Probe Into The AgustaWestland Deal Scam, BSP Chief Mayawati Said In Rajya Sabha On Wednesday During A Debate Over The Issue.
Congress today slammed the government over the AgustaWestland row, saying it was trying to “villify the head of a political party” on the basis of mere “insinuation and innuendo” and was attempting to cover up for “disillusionment” with its misgovernance. Putting up a spirited defence in the Rajya Sabha as the House took up a short duration discussion on the raging controversy, Congress member Abhishek Manu Singhvi responded point-by-point to allegations of wrongdoings levelled by the ruling dispensation against the previous UPA government.
Earlier, Bhupendra Yadav of BJP, who initiated the debate, pointed fingers at the UPA government over its role in the deal to purchase 12 VVIP helicopters.
"There should be a Supreme Court monitored probe into the AgustaWestland deal scam," BSP Chief Mayawati said in Rajya Sabha on Wednesday during a debate over the issue. The BJP and Congress slammed each other in the Rajya Sabha over the AgustaWestland issue. Congress on Wednesday obstructed Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar from making statement on AgustaWestland chopper scam in Rajya Sabha and created chaos.
Earlier on Wednesday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi met top leaders Manohar Parrikar, Rajnath Singh and Venkaiah Naidu ahead of the debate in Parliament on the AgustaWestland chopper scam.
Meanwhile, Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday accepted the challenge from the BJP on fresh revelations in the AgustaWestland chopper deal. Sonia Gandhi said "They are most welcome" to present it.
Refusing to divulge details of Congress strategy to tackle the allegations in the AgustaWestland, Sonia said, "You will see the strategy in the House."
Here is who said what in Rajya Sabha on AgustaWestland issue:
- CAG report has highlighted that allowed offsets were not compliant with DPR. Many Indian offsets were not eligible-Manohar Parrikar
- The benchmark cost given by CNC was unreasonably high and had provided no realistic basis for price negotiations: Manohar Parrikar
- Investigation in matter so far revealed involvement of Ids Infotech as conduit for transfer of bribe money: Manohar Parrikar
- Fact that there was corruption in matter is brought out in extensive details in recent judgments of Milan court: Manohar Parrikar
- Country wants to know as to who instigated,supported and benefited from corruption, We can't let this pass-Manohar Parrikar
- What the Minister has said contradicts his statement in Parl, he is making a false statement: Anand Sharma on Manohar Parrikar
- AM Singhvi ji almost convinced me with his argument: Manohar Parrikar in RS
- It is proved beyond doubt there is corruption in this deal, you (NDA Govt) have to act now
- MoD was contacting through MEA with embassy in Rome, Govt of Italy &prosecutor, Govt in UK when all attempts failed we became a party in the case, it is our willpower & determination to find out truth, we fought company Ak Antony
- After the first report in media on alleged scam in helicopter deal, we acted immediately: AK Antony
- The decision to change the height was taken by then PMO and Govt (NDA): AK Antony in RS
- If you can find even an iota of truth in all the accusations being made, I will give up public life and resign: Ahmed Patel
- And if anyone can prove that from this report, I will submit my resignation: Ahmed Patel
- My name only comes 4 times in the entire report. Does it say anywhere in the report that the Cong leaders have taken a bribe?: Ahmed Patel
- CAG should not be used as a tool for political bickering: Ahmed Patel (Congress) in RS
- What has been said here, attributing motives, insinuations, innuendos are without any foundation, malicious & motivated: Anand Sharma
- We know their agenda and we are determined to fight and expose that agenda: Anand Sharma
- This is a democracy. What has been referred to, must be authenticated by Govt, put here and scrutinized legally: Anand Sharma, Congress in RS
- Which was authority above Mr. Antony who overruled him? From my personal knowledge I will say it wasn't Dr. Manmohan Singh: Swamy
- In Sept 2008, contract negotiations committee arbitrarily fixed 4877.5 cr as the deal which was 6 times more: Subramanian Swamy
- Air Force in Jan 2006 gave their benchmark estimate for this deal as 793 cr. This was approved by Mr. Antony then Defence Minister: Swamy
- CAG says that already present 8 helicpoters which was bought in 1988 was hardly utilised, what was need for this additional 4?: Subramanian Swamy
- Original proposal was to buy 8 helicopters, after it became clear that Agusta was only 1 to qualify,they decided to buy 4 more: Subramanian Swamy
- They didn't use AW101 aircraft (which was bought) for field trials bt used some other helicopter, which is fraud in its itself: Subramanian Swamy
- People who lowered height was not NDA. It is a lie to say that NDA Govt was one which changed specification of height-Subramanian Swamy
- That was lowered because it was found that present choice that we’ve made of AgustaWestland cannot fly beyond 4500 metres: Subramanian Swamy
- But objective was that VVIPs should be able to fly to remote areas such as Siachen/north-east and therefore ought to fly at heights above 6000 metres & should be out range of shoulder rockets: Subramanian Swamy
- True that NDA had initiated process for buying 8 new choppers to replace 6 old choppers which were purchased in 1998-Subramanian Swamy
- It is a lie to say that NDA Govt was the one to change specification of height (of the helicopters): Subramanian Swamy
- There should be a Supreme Court monitored probe into AgustaWestland case: BSP Chief Mayawati In Rajya Sabha
- There are so many more important issues going on in the nation. They are the ones that should be discussed in the House: Sharad Yadav
- No need to make false accusations. Accusations need corroboration else it simply defames people for no reason: Sharad Yadav
- Why are you not letting Parl function? Why is this an issue when you have all the agencies to your behest?: Sharad Yadav
- All this fixation to finger point at one person, doesn't that affect investigation? I don't think you can intimidate us: AM Singhvi
- In 1999, the IAF made a suggestion to replace MI8 VVIP helicopters. It was Vajpayee Govt in power that time: AM Singhvi
- This "tainted" "bogus" company was allowed to participate in aero displays in Bengaluru in 2015: AM Singhvi
- Just because you have inbuilt hatred for certain names doesn't mean they shall be put in place for initials used: AM Singhvi
- We have to now rely on distortions of Italian Court judgements?: AM Singhvi, Congress in RS on AgustaWestland
- We need to have more sense than sensationalism: AM Singhvi, Congress in RS on AgustaWestland
- Here is an insecure ruling party trying to foist a charge of corruption on persons unconnected: AM Singhvi, Congress in RS
- Why did UPA not initiate an investigation into who all took bribes in the AgustaWestland matter?: Bhupender Yadav, BJP in RS
- This matter started in 2002, just wanted to inform the house the chronological order of events in the matter, without any comments: Parrikar
(With inputs from agencies)
For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
First Published : 04 May 2016, 02:21:00 PM