A man hurled shoes at BJP leaders addressing a press conference at the party's headquarters here on Thursday and was detained by police. The middle-aged person identified himself as Shakti Bhargava and claimed to be a doctor by profession, but he did not speak about the reason behind his action as he was being bundled out by BJP staff and security guards.
The Delhi Police, which questioned him for several hours, said they were letting him off as no complaint was lodged against him. The incident took place when a scheduled press conference of BJP leaders Bhupendra Yadav and G V L Narasimha Rao was on.
However, this is not the first time a party leader has faced the unfortunate experience of having shoes thrown at them in public. Here are 5 other politicians in India, who had the same experience:
1. Jitan Ram Manjhi: A man threw shoe at former Bihar Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi in Patna in January 2015.
2. Rahul Gandhi: In January 2012, a shoe was thrown at Rahul Gandhi during an election rally in Dehradun. After the attack, he had said, "If some people think that throwing a shoe will deter me and force me to run away, then they are mistaken. Rahul Gandhi will not run away."
3. Manmohan Singh: Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh makes it to this list too. A 28-year-old man had tried to throw shoe at Manmohan Singh; however, it failed to reach him.
4. Arvind Kejriwal: In 2016, an Aam Aadmi Party Sena member first hurled a CD, and then a shoe at Kejriwal during a press conference in Delhi. The attacker was whisked away by Secretariat officials before being detained by police.
5. LK Advani: The veteran BJP leader had a slipper hurled at him by one of his own party members, Pawas Agarwal.