A fire broke out in the chamber of Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik in the state Assembly building here today. No one was reported hurt in the incident. The Chief Minister is away on a visit to Delhi, assembly officials said. A television set and set-top box were damaged in the minor fire, which was quickly doused by the fire brigade personnel deployed in the Assembly premises, they said.
No other furniture, equipment or file was damaged in the fire as the fire brigade personnel immediately rushed to the site on getting information.
“No major damage has been caused by the fire...It was suspected to have occurred due to electric short circuit,” Assembly Speaker Niranjan Pujari said.
Senior officials including Director General of Police K B Singh and Commissioner of Police Y B Khurania rushed to the site after the incident. While the fire is suspected to have erupted due to electric short circuit, efforts are on to ascertain the exact cause, a senior police official said. The incident took place on the second day of the second phase of budget session.