A five-storeyed building collapsed at Sarjapur road in Bengaluru on Thursday, killing three labourers. The building was under construction with labourers working in the building at the time of the collapse.
A total of 20 labourers were working in the building when the incident took place. The people who were nearby started rescuing the labourers, while informing the rescue team.
So far, seven labourers have been rescued by the rescue team, which reached the spot as soon as the news was given to them. Other labourers are being taken out of the building. The condition of one of the injured is said to be critical.
Three labourers have been confirmed as dead, while seven have been rescued till now. The dead bodies of the three killed labourers have been recovered.
Two labourers were found dead under the debris while one of the rescued succumbed to injuries in hospital, Bengaluru Mayor R Sampath Raj said.
“Rescue team is at work. The rescuers have gone inside the building. We will initiate action against the owner and the contractor but our priority is to rescue people trapped under the debris,” Raj said.
The injured have been shifted to a nearby hospital while rescue operation by the Bengaluru fire force and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) is ongoing.
The DGP of Police M.N.Reddy, on Thursday evening, took to Twitter and confirmed the death of three labourers.
He tweeted, "latest info on #KasavanahalliBuildingCollapse 7 persons rescued and 3 persons confirmed dead & dead bodies recovered. More persons suspected to be trapped. Rescue efforts by Fire Force and NDRF on."
latest info on #KasavanahalliBuildingCollapse 7 persons rescued and 3 persons confirmed dead & dead bodies recovered. More persons suspected to be trapped. Rescue efforts by Fire Force and NDRF on. https://t.co/sAIviGTwsZ— M.N.Reddi, IPS (@DGP_FIRE) February 15, 2018
Deputy commissioner of police of Whitefield division, Abdul Ahad said the building belonged to one Rafique from HSR Layout. “We are gathering more information. It was developed to accommodate paying guests but later the owner tried to convert it into a commercial building,” he said.
The construction had started six years ago but was stopped midway. Six months ago, the construction began, the deputy commissioner said.