Last month, the government put a ban on exports of all kinds of personal protection equipment (Photo Credit: PTI)
The government has removed surgical masks and gloves from the list of banned export items, according to a notification. Last month, the government put a ban on exports of all kinds of personal protection equipment, including clothing and masks used to protect people from air borne particles amidst outbreak of deadly novel coronavirus in China.
The move assumed significance as there could be a spurt in demand for such products due to outbreak of deadly coronavirus that has claimed more than 500 lives in China. "... items such as surgical masks/disposable masks and all gloves except NBR gloves are allowed freely for export," the directorate general of foreign trade (DGFT) has said in a notification.
However, it said that export of all other personal protection equipment, including N-95 and other equipment accompanying masks and gloves shall remain prohibited for exports.
A total of 151 people were screened for novel coronavirus across different airports in Assam, while 56 persons travelling from abroad were kept under home isolation, an official release said on Sunday. The Health and Family Welfare Department said 151 passengers, including 66 in Guwahati have been screened till now. Fourteen persons were examined during Sunday, the statement said.
“WHO has declared the recent novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) epidemic affecting 23 countries as International Public Health Emergency of international concern. In this context, Assam has strengthened the surveillance and control measures against the disease,” it added.
As China reels under deadly coronavirus outbreak, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has conveyed to Chinese President Xi Jinping India’s readiness to provide assistance to the country to deal with the situation. In a letter to Xi, Modi expressed solidarity with the president and people of China over the outbreak of the virus, official sources said.
A total of 811 people have died of the coronavirus infection in China so far while the number of confirmed cases has gone up to 37,198, according to latest data released by Chinese authorities.
Though the epicentre of the outbreak was Hubei province, the virus has spread to almost every province in China as well as around 25 countries in the world, forcing the World Health Organization to declare it a global emergency.
In the letter to Xi, Modi offered India’s assistance to China to deal with the challenge and also conveyed condolences at the unfortunate loss of lives due to the outbreak, the sources said.