Prime Minister Narendra Modi, in a 90-minute address speech from the historical Red Fort on Monday, accused Pakistan of glorifying terrorists and celebrating killings in India.
Attired in his trademark half sleeves kurta and sporting a Rajasthani turban, the prime minister devoted major part of his speech on the occasion of the 70th Independence Day to presenting a report card of his government's work particularly in boosting economic growth, ease of doing business and welfare schemes for the poor and farmers.
Did you miss PM Modi's speech from the Red Fort today? Here are the highlights of his speech in 70 quotes -
1. People of Balochistan and Gilgit, PoK have thanked me a lot in the past few days, I am grateful to them.
2. When terrorists gunned down innocent children in Peshawar, India was crying.
3. Country will not yield to terrorism and extremism, asserts PM, asks youth to shun violence and return to mainstream.
4. There was a time when the govt was shrouded by allegations but now the govt is surrounded by expectations.
5. Government to bear up to Rs one lakh healthcare expenses annually for BPL families.
6. 20 per cent increase in pension of Freedom fighters announced by the PM.
7. March from self-governance to good-governance is a resolve of entire nation, it will need sacrifices.
8. Tough and "sensitive" approach is required to tackle the age-old social evils whether it is castism or untouchability.
9. A strong country cannot be build without a strong society which is based on social justice.
10. Our social unity is most important; division in the name of caste, creed hurts the country. Need to rise above all these issues.
11. GST will strengthen economy; all parties are to be thanked for its passage.
12. About 50 lakh free LPG connections released in 100 days; target of 5 cr connections can be achieved earlier than scheduled 3 yr.
13. 99.5% of past dues of sugarcane farmers have been cleared; 95% of sugarcane sold this season has been paid for to farmers.
14. Emphasis on revival of 118 stuck projects worth Rs 7.5 lakh crore.
15. I have tried to adopt the strategy of 'Reform, Perform and Transform'; tried to avoid populism.
16. Food godowns with 15 lakh ton capacity built; emphasis on food processing: Aim is to help double farmers' income by 2022.
17. Sowing of pulses has increased 1.5 times this year, it will help solve problem of demand shortfall.
18. We have brought inflation rate below 6 pc; I will continue to work to ensure food plate of poor is not affected by inflation.
19. Our biggest challenge is poverty. I invite all our neighbours to come forward and fight against poverty.
20. The more we increase scope of work, the more the scope of employment will increase.
21. We have made OROP a success, filled every defence personnel's house with happiness.
22. We have made sure women of our country can go to work during the night. We have adequate security in place.
23. The pressing need is that the country's youngsters should get opportunities and employment.
24. Social justice is the base for a strong society.
25. Together we have to fight against social evils to make India strong.
26. One nation, one grid, one price- we have worked on this.
27. We have extended maternity leave to 26 weeks from 12 weeks.
28. GST will strengthen our economy and all parties are to be thanked for its passage.
29. India preferred FDI destination, to go from 10th to 3rd place in next 2 years.
30. 99.5% of past dues of sugarcane farmers have been cleared.
31. Our ranking in ease of business has rapidly improved.
32. We are emphasising on the revival of 118 stuck projects worth Rs 7.5 lakh crore.
33. Reform, perform, transform, we've made efforts in every sector.
34. For the first time, shipping corporation and BSNL have gained operational profit because of our govt.
35. Out govt is giving importance to 'last man delivery' by taking decisions; our policies are clear.
36. My govt's focus is on creating an identity for India. 37. My dream is to double the income of farmers by 2022, and this dream will materialise.
38. If farmers in our country get adequate water, they can turn 'soil' into 'gold'.
39. To reduce farmer's input cost, we have taken up work with solar pumps in a major way.
40. The farmers of India have increased the production of pulses 1.5 times.
41. We haven’t let the inflation rate go beyond 6%.
42. We've been successful in bringing electricity to 10,000 of 18,000 villages.
43. The LED bulb that was priced at Rs 350 each, is now being sold at Rs 50 each.
44. We have connected 70 crore Indians to Aadhaar and social security schemes.
45. I can proudly say, today, in India's villages 2 crore toilets have been constructed.
46. In 60 weeks, we have given 4 crore new connections of cooking gas to people.
47. Responsibility, accountability is the root of good governance.
48. Today we're making roads in villages at 100km per day as against the earlier 70-75 km.
49. Today, getting a passport takes only couple weeks, earlier it used to take months.
50. There was a time when govt was shrouded by allegations. Now, is surrounded by expectations.
51. Today, in all major govt hospitals, online registration is available and medical records are available online.
52. We want to change situation where people are scared of income tax authorities, particularly middle class families.
53. Today, in 1 min, it's possible to get 15,000 train tickets.
54. Surajya means a qualitative & positive change in lives of citizens of India.
55. Today, more than Karya, I want to talk about Karya Sanskriti on the government.
56. Be it Panchayat or Parliament, gram pradhan or PM, everyone has to realise responsibilities for India to attain Surajya.
57. India has problems but it also has 125 crore brains to overcome those problems.
58. From Vedas to Vivekananda, we have a long history. India is an ancient country with a rich cultural heritage.
59. Sardar Patel unified India. It's upto us to make India the best.
60. We remember Gandhi, Sardar Patel, Nehru, countless people who sacrificed their lives so that we attained Swarajya.
61. May this energy guide the nation to scale newer heights of progress in years to come.
62. Rs 20,000 cr saved through renegotiation of gas import deal with Qatar.
63. 77 cr LED bulbs can save 20,000 MW of electricity worth Rs 1.25 lakh crore.
64. LED bulbs being sold at Rs 50 each against Rs 350 previously; 13 cr bulbs distributed, target is 77 cr.
65. Electricity has reached 10,000 villages out of 18,000 unelectricified villages.
66. Laying of power transmission lines increased to 50,000 kms in a year from 30,000-35,000-km earlier.
67. 4 cr new LPG connections given in 60 weeks as against 14 cr connections given in past 60 years.
68. Construction of rural roads increased to 100 kms a day from 70-75 km a day.
69. There can't b a bigger freedom than freedom from poverty.Invite all SAARC countries to work together to fight this-PM
70. We did not get an opportunity to die for the country but we have the opportunity to live for the country.