News Nation Logo

Former Maharashtra ATS Chief Himanshu Roy commits suicide; note recovered

Former Maharashtra Anti Terrorists Squad (ATS) Chief Himanshu Roy On Friday Allegedly Committed Suicide By Shooting Himself At His Residence In Mumbai.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Nabanita Chakorborty | Updated on: 11 May 2018, 08:04:57 PM

New Delhi:

Former Maharashtra Anti Terrorists Squad (ATS) chief Himanshu Roy on Friday allegedly committed suicide by shooting himself at his residence in Mumbai.

"Former Maharashtra ATS Chief Himanshu Roy commits suicide in Mumbai," the news agency ANI reported.

According to a statement released by Mumbai Police, Roy took the drastic step as he was suffering from Cancer. The same has been mentioned in the suicide note recovered from the spot.

The 1988-batch IPS officer shot himself at his residence with his service revolver, police said. The incident took place at around 1 pm on Friday and Roy was brought dead to the Bombay hospital. Security has been tightened outside the hospital.

"I knew him personally, he had lost lots of weight due to illness and didn't have the same personality as earlier," ANI quoted Dr Gautam Bhansali, Consultant Physician from the Bombay Hospital.

Himanshu Roy had also worked as the Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) in Mumbai and solved several sensational cases including the 2013 Indian Premier League spot-fixing case, the murder of Pallavi Purkayastha and the J Dey murder.

The officer, known for his dedication and soft communication skills had seven years of service left. He was removed as chief of the anti-terror squad after he wrote to the Maharashtra home department accusing his seniors of poor treatment and favouritism.

Post that, Roy was appointed additional director general in charge of police housing.

He was suffering from cancer and had gone on a long leave on medical grounds.

"He was a very bright officer. Such a tragedy," NDTV quoted one of his superiors MN Singh.

"He was a fitness freak. He was at an advanced stage of cancer and couldn't take it anymore. It is very, very unfortunate," Arup Patnaik, his colleague said.

Later in the day, the Forensic arrived at Himanshu Roy's residence in Mumbai.

(More Details Awaited)

For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 11 May 2018, 03:09:08 PM