A large hut at a slum housing hundreds of Rohingya Muslims was damaged after a fire was reported in Jammu, a spokesman of the Fire and Emergency Services said.
However, timely action by the department saved a number of lives and property.
A short circuit led to the fire inside the hut at the Narwal bypass on the outskirts of Jammu, he said.
The department pressed its men and machines and restricted the fire to the affected hut.
The spokesperson further said that the occupants, comprising several families, escaped unhurt in the incident. However, their belonging got destroyed.
Dozens of shanties were under the threat but timely action saved life and property of the people living there, he said.
(With PTI inputs)