News Nation Logo

Just married to a Pakistani, Indian woman seeks refuge in Islamabad mission; alleges he already has wife and children

An Indian Woman, Who Got Married To A Pakistani Man On May 3, Has Approached The Islamabad Mission And Has Requested Them To Repatriate Her To India, Indian High Commission Has Informed Pakistan.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Bindiya Bhatt | Updated on: 08 May 2017, 08:17:01 AM
Flags of India and Pakistan (Representational picture)

Islamabad/New Delhi:

An Indian woman, who got married to a Pakistani man on May 3, has approached the Indian High Commission in Islamabad and has requested them to repatriate her to India, Indian High Commission has informed Pakistan.

The woman has alleged that she came to discover it later that the man to whom she got married was already married and had four children. On the other hand, the man has accused the Indian High Commission of detaining her wife.

Pakistan Foreign Office spokesman Nafees Zakaria said in a statement that “the Indian High Commission informed the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that an Indian national, Ms Uzma, 20, had approached them with the request to be repatriated to India.”

“According to the Indian High Commission, she claimed to have married Mr Tahir and alleged that she later came to know that Mr Tahir was already married and had four children,” Zakaria said.

Zakaria’s remarks came following the Pakistani man’s allegations that the Indian High Commission detained his newly-wed Indian wife when they went there to apply for his visa.

The government sources in New Delhi, however, said the Indian woman sought help of the Indian High Commission in Islamabad on May 5.

ALSO READ | Sohail Mahmood to replace Abdul Basit as Pakistan’s high commissioner to India

The High Commission is providing necessary consular assistance to her and is in touch with the Pakistan Foreign Office on the matter and the girl’s family in India, they said.Uzma, from New Delhi, and the Pakistani man, Tahir, reportedly met in Malaysia and fell in love after which she travelled to Pakistan on May 1 via the Wagah border. The two contracted nikkah (marriage) on May 3.

According to Tahir, they visited the High Commission building and submitted visa forms as well as their phones to the officials. Uzma then went inside on being called by the officials while he stayed back, her husband said.

When his wife did not return after several hours, Tahir enquired about her from officials, who claimed she was not there. Tahir alleged that the officials also refused to give their three mobile phones back to him.

ALSO READ | India summons Pak high commissioner Abdul Basit over beheading of soldiers in Krishna Ghati

Tahir said he has filed a First Information Report (FIR) in the Secretariat Police Station. Earlier, reports had quoted Zakaria as saying that Uzma was “stranded” inside the Indian mission’s building. 

(With inputs from PTI)

For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 08 May 2017, 08:09:00 AM