Gurdwara Kartarpur Sahib: Click here to know all about the holy Sikh site in 7 points
The Cabinet on Thursday approved the building and development of the Kartarpur corridor from Dera Baba Nanak in Punjab’s Gurdaspur district to the International Border (IB) with Pakistan. The corridor will facilitate Sikh pilgrims from India to visit Gurdwara Darbar Sahib at Kartarpur on the banks of river Ravi in Narowal District of Punjab in Pakistan. The project with all modern amenities and facilities will be implemented with the central government funding.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to commemorate 550th Birth Anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev. Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi also agreed to India's decision to open the Kartarpur corridor on Thursday and said that Prime Minister Imran Khan would break ground to develop a passage between Dera Baba Nanak in Gurdaspur and the shrine on November 28.
Read More | Pakistan agrees to open Kartarpur corridor for Sikh pilgrims
Here’s all you need to know about the historic Kartarpur Darbar Sahib gurdwara:
- Guru Nanak is believed to have spent the last 18 years of his life in the Kartarpur Sahib gurdwara.
- The gurudwara was built at the site where Guru Nanak died on September 22, 1539. It was at this place that Guru Nanak settled and assembled members of the Sikh community after his missionary visits.
- The Kartarpur Sahib gurudwara is a historic Sikh pilgrimage on the banks of river Ravi, 120 km from Lahore, in the Narowal district Pakistan's Punjab province.
- The gurudwara is visible from the Indian side of the border and several pilgrims gather at the border for 'darshan'. Pakistani authorities often cut elephant grass, which otherwise obstruct view from India.
- The Ministry of Electronics and IT will install a high-powered telescope in India for the devotees to view Kartarpur Sahib in Pakistan.
- The Railways Ministry will run a train, which will pass through places associated with the Sikh guru.
- The development of Kartarpur corridor from Dera Baba Nanak in Gurdaspur district to the International Border will facilitate pilgrims from India to visit Gurdwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur.
For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
First Published : 23 Nov 2018, 09:08:13 AM