Pakistan on Saturday handed over Sepoy Chandu Babulal Chohan, who accidently crossed the LoC on 29 September 2016, to Indian authorities at 1430 hrs.
Earlier, Pakistan had agreed to return Sepoy Chandu Babulal Chavan, who inadvertently crossed the Line of Control on September 29, last year.
It was sais that the soldier will enter India via Wagah Border, Punjab at 3PM, an official statement said, "He will be debriefed and a special medical check-up will be carried out," it added.
Indian Government has been making continuous efforts to get him back ever since he crossed the LoC soon after the surgical strike on terror camps along Pakistan’s border.
The government recently approached Pakistan’s foreign ministry over missing soldier Chavan’s release. Indian Army soldier Chandu Babulal Chavan belongs to 37 Rashtriya Rifles.
Read | Who is Chandu Babulal Chavan
Earlier, Indian DGMO, Ranbir Singh had talked to his Pakistani counterpart for the return of Sepoy Chandu Babulal Chavan but all Pak authorities were reluctant to respond.
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) had kept away from Chavan’s case, allowing the army to handle the situation.
Indian government and the Army had claimed that the soldier had no role in the surgical strikes that took hours before his ‘crossing’. It added that such crossings by civilians and soldiers were not uncommon.
A 37 Rashtriya Rifles sepoy, Chavan was posted in the Mendhar sector in J&K when he was reported missing hours after the surgical strikes.
On October 2, defence minister Manohar Parrikar had said that a ‘well-established mechanism through the DGMO’ had been activated to seek Chohan’s release. He had also said that since the situation was tense, it would take some time to bring him back.
Newsnation had a launched a campaign to give impetus to efforts made for Sepoy Chandu Babulal Chavan’s safe return.