A major tragedy was averted at popular destination site Hampi in Karnataka on Friday late night when a school tour bus caught fire due to short circuit trapping more than 16 children.
The locals sprung into action and broke open the glass windows of the bus and rescued the children.
The bus was completely charred.
If not for the timely help and presence of mind of the bystanders, it could have led to a major disaster.
The students were from Hungund, a nearby taluk and were on a tour. Local MLA Anand Singh arranged another bus for the children.
An inquiry has been ordered into the incident.