News Nation Logo


67 deaths in 50 days: Pakistan openly provoking, fuelling tensions in Kashmir, says Mehbooba after meeting PM Modi

Jammu And Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti On Saturday Met Prime Minister Narendra Modi And Discussed The Current Security Situation In The Valley.

Agencies | Updated on: 27 Aug 2016, 11:51:46 AM

New Delhi:

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti on Saturday met Prime Minister Narendra Modi and discussed the current security situation in the Valley.

Mufti after meeting PM Modi said: "Pakistan has been openly trying to provoke and fuel tensions in the valley."

"PM Modi, like all of us, is very concerned with the situation in J&K," said Mufti.

Highlights of Mehbooba Mufti's addresses to the media after meeting PM Modi in Delhi:

# As a mother it bothers me that people tell children, go stone a police station, that will solve issue.

# Modi ji took an initiative, our home minister took an initiative, they went to Pakistan, but now its upto Pakistan to respond.

# Then, Pathankot happened after that (Par badkismati ke sath uske baad Pathankot hua).

# Help me (Meri madad keejiye),  Mehbooba Mufti asks media to cooperate with her on resolving current crisis.

# Situation was really bad in the Valley, and Pakistan was trying to fuel tensions in the Valley. (Pichle dinon Kashmir mein haalaat kharab hue, aur Pak khulke haalaat ko theek karne ke bajaaye, koshish kar rahe the provocation ho.)

# Sadly, Pakistan has repeatedly wasted chances to talk and resolve issues.

# Like Mufti sahab used to say that Modi ji has 2/3rd majority and if during his time the situation doesn't change then it will never change.

# I was happy that PM Modi had invited Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif and then visited Pakistan also. (Mujhe khushi hai ki Modi ji ne na sirf pehle apni oath ceremony mein Nawaz Sharif sahab ko bulaya, balki khud Lahore chale gaye).

# Pakistan has been openly trying to provoke and fuel tensions in the valley.

# PM Modi like all of us is very concerned with the situation in J&K.

This was the first time PM Modi met Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti since 50 days of unrest in Kashmir.

A few days back, Home Minister Rajnath Singh had paid a visit to the state, where he assessed the situation on the ground and held meetings with representatives of civil society, political parties, Pahari community leaders and several individuals to understand what needed to be done to restore normalcy in the valley.

50 days of unrest in Valley

Kashmir continued to witness casualties with one more youth getting killed and several others getting injured in a clash between protesters and security forces on Friday even as curfew was in force in many parts of the valley to thwart a planned march by separatists.

Normal life remained paralysed for the 50th consecutive day due to curfew, restrictions and separatist-sponsored strike.

Shops, private offices, educational institutions and petrol pumps remained closed while public transport continued to be off roads. The attendance in government offices and banks was also affected, the official said.

Mobile internet also continued to remain suspended in the entire Valley, where the outgoing facility on prepaid mobiles remained barred.

18-year-old Shakeel Ahmad Ganai and several others were injured in action by security forces against protesters at Nikas Arbal in Rajpora area of Pulwama district this afternoon, a police official said.

Ganai, with pellet injuries in his chest, was rushed to district hospital Pulwama where he was declared 'brought dead' by the doctors, the official said.

With this death, the toll in the ongoing 50-day unrest has reached 67.

Meanwhile, curfew was on Friday extended to several areas of Kashmir to foil a planned march by separatists to Eidgah in old city area.

Curfew was extended to entire Srinagar district, Pulwama district and south Kashmir towns of Shopian and Anantnag
North Kashmir towns of Baramulla, Pattan and Handwara were also placed under curfew while restrictions on assembly of people were in force in rest of the Valley, police said.

Separatist leaders Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq attempted to take out processions to Eidgah but both were detained just when they left their residences where they are under house arrest.

Mirwaiz, chairman of moderate Hurriyat Conference, tried to take out the march along with his supporters from his Nigeen residence but was taken into custody. He was later shifted to Chashma Shahi Guest House.

Geelani, chairman of hardline faction of Hurriyat Conference, was also taken into custody as he tried to defy the house arrest orders, a police official said.

(With PTI inputs)

For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 27 Aug 2016, 10:36:00 AM