News Nation Logo

BREAKING

#MeToo: CINTAA expels Alok Nath amid rape allegations

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Aniruddha Dhar | Updated on: 14 Nov 2018, 12:18:15 AM
#MeToo: CINTAA expels Alok Nath amid rape allegations

New Delhi:

Veteran Alok Nath, who was accused of rape by writer-producer Vinta Nanda last month, has been expelled by the Cine and TV Artists Association (CINTAA) on Tuesday.

In the wake of #MeToo campaign in India last month, Nanda, who is best known for the hit '90s TV show "Tara", had accused Nath of raping her more than once 19 years ago.

"In view of the various allegations of sexual harassment and misconduct against Mr Alok Nath, after due diligence and consideration, the Executive Committee of CINTAA has decided to expel him from the Association," CINTAA, which has previously sent show-cause notice to Nath, said in a statement issued on Twitter.

Nath, however, told news agency PTI that he was yet to receive any official communication.

Also Read | CNN sues Trump administration for revoking its journalist Jim Acosta's White House press credentials

"I have not received anything from CINTAA yet," he said.

After Nanda’s accusations, several other women also came out with similar allegations and accused the actor of harassment and inappropriate behaviour.

Actor Sandhya Mridul also accused Nath of sexual harassment at an outdoor shoot years ago.

Nath is famous for shows like "Buniyaad" and films such as "Hum Aapke Hain Koun!" and "Hum Saath Saath Hain".

Also Read | Ranveer Deepika wedding: This bad news from their Italy venue will leave you sulking!

Nath, who is known for playing “Sanskari (of traditional values)” roles on TV, rebutted the allegations of sexual harassment and rape.

The Bollywood actor even filed a civil defamation case against Nanda and demanded a written apology and Re 1 as compensation for defaming him.

For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 13 Nov 2018, 10:10:56 PM

Videos