A massive fire broke out at an under-construction, multi-storey building near Kingsway Hospital in Nagpur on Wednesday. 10 fire-tenders were pressed into services to bring the blaze under control. Around 7 people were injured in the fire and two of them are stated to be in critical condition. However, no casualties were reported so far. Army aided in the fire-fighting operations and the blaze has been brought under control.Â
Maharashtra: Fire breaks out in an under-construction hospital in Nagpur. Ten fire tenders are at the spot and the situation is under control now. pic.twitter.com/DVsCgvhyTYâ€” ANI (@ANI) January 9, 2019
The fire, which broke about in the afternoon today, reportedly broke out due to short circuit. However, the administration is yet to determine the real reason behind it. According to reports, the 10-storeyed building was made of glass because of which firefighters found it difficult to douse the fire.
â€œFire has been controlled now, the search operation is underway. The fire could have been caused due to a short circuit as construction work was underway at the building,â€ Fire Officer Sunil Raut said.Â
The blaze occurred in the third floor of the ten-storey building, said Nagpur Municipal Corporation fire officer Rajendra Uchke. After the fire broke out, eight labourers got stuck inside due to heavy smoke for some time before they were rescued by fire personnel, he said.
According to eye-witnesses, fire tenders had to enter the premises through the gate of the neighbouring LIC building, as a truck and some construction material blocked their access to the under-construction building.
The flames were put out completely at around 3:30 PM.