More than 5 lakh citizens responded to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s app on demonetisation in 30 hours. PM Modi had on Tuesday invited responses from the general public over their reception of his scheme to ban Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 currency notes to curb black money menace.
"I thank people for the historic participation in the survey. Its satisfying to read the insightful views & comments," tweeted PM Modi as he shared the response to the app.
Taking to twitter to announce the survey, PM Modi on Tuesday tweeted: “I want your first-hand view on the decision taken regarding currency notes. Take part in the survey on the NM App.”
On November 8, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had taken the country by surprise after he announced that Rs 500 and Rs 1000 currency notes will be discontinued.
After the ban on high-value old currency notes, people were seen struggling to withdraw cash from banks and ATMs in never-ending queues.
The debate around demonetisation took various dimensions since the announcement.
Some interesting facts:
1. In just over 24 hours of the survey, more than five lakh people have participated and expressed their opinion. This is a staggering number by any stretch. No opinion survey conducted in India, on such policy or political issues, even comes close to sampling so many responses.
2. More than 90% of the respondents feel the government’s move to tackle black money is above four-star rating. 73% of them give it five-star rating of brilliant.
3. On the overall fight against corruption, more than 92% of respondents either rate the government as very good or good. 57% of them rate the fight as Very Good.
4. More than 93% people support the move to demonetize the old 500 and 1000 rupee notes. Of the over 5 lakh responses so far, only 2% have rated the move as very poor or one star.
5. As high as 86% people believe that some so called anti corruption activists are now actually batting in support of black money, corruption and even terrorist financing!