External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday said that no Indian casualty has been reported in the Manchester suicide attack.
In the deadliest terror attack in the UK since the 7/7 bombings of 2005, at least 22 people, including children, were killed and 59 injured when a suicide bomber blew himself up as thousands of fans were exiting US star Ariana Grande’s pop concert in Manchester.
“So far there is no report of an Indian casualty in the #Manchester attack. We are keeping a close watch on the situation,” Swaraj tweeted.
Terming that attack as “horrific”, Minister of State for External Affairs M J Akbar tweeted, “Share Britain’s bereavement and pain. Manchester confirms Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s oft-repeated analysis that terrorism is the greatest threat since World War II.”
Akbar further added that “We must fight this evil without ifs and buts: terrorists and sanctuary providers are equally guilty.”
Immediately after the attack, the Indian high commission in London had tweeted that “Any Indians injured during Manchester attack today may reach off-office hours Public Response Unit of HCI (High Commission of India) ASAP (as soon as possible) at 020 7632 3035.”
The high commission also said that it will activate more helplines shortly to be of further assistance to families and friends of those affected by the attack.
Manchester, a heavily industrialised town, is home to a significant number of people from South Asia.