New Delhi :
Catholic priest Father Thomas Uzhunnalil who was kidnapped by Islamic State Yemen few days back, have sent a video to the Indian government demanding millions of dollars in ransom.
The video allegedly showed Father Thomas, a Salesian priest, asking for help with a man standing behind him. However, there is no confirmation on whether Father Thomas Uzhunnalil is now dead or alive.
The information came against the backdrop of reports claiming that the militant group had planned to execute the priest Tom Uzhunnallil on Good Friday last week. However, there has been no report of any harm to him so far.
There is no verifiable information with the government on Father Tom Uzhunnallil, the sources said.
Uzhunnalil had gone missing in Yemen after the Islamic State terrorists attacked a care home run by Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity.
The gunmen had stormed the refuge for the elderly earlier this month and killed a Yemeni guard before tying up and shooting 15 other employees.
Four foreign nuns, including an Indian, working as nurses were among those killed.
Last week, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj had said India was making all efforts to secure the priest’s release. Sources said the government has even approached the Vatican in this regard.