Over 150 girl students of Badapada Asharam School near Chitrakonda in Odisha’s Malkangiri were taken ill allegedly after eating flattened rice mixed with phenyl o Friday.
Ramkrishna God, Project Administrator of Integrated Tribal Development Agency (ITDA) said, “Around 150 girls of a government-run residential school fell ill with symptoms of food-poisoning after having their breakfast at Makangiri’s Badapada.”
The girls were rushed to hospitals after they complained vomiting, loose motion, stomach ache and nausea, added the ITDA official.
According to reports, the students complained of vomiting and nausea after eating flattened rice served in the breakfast. They were initially admitted to the Janbai medical. The doctors of the hospital referred 30 students who are said to be critical to Chitrakonda hospital.
He added that the girls with help of Border Security Personnel (BSF) troopers were shifted to Chitrakonda for better medical treatment. BSF troops of COB Badapada provided first aid and evacuated them to Janbai by BSF speed boat.
Several students have been admitted in BSF MI Room TAC 08 Bn at COB PS Chitrakonda and others evacuated to civil hospital
“A team has been formed to probe to know the reasons behind the incident. Stringent actions will be taken against people responsible,” said Chakravarthy.
According to reports 80 students were reported to fall ill after eating mid-day meal in Kalahandi district on Thursday.