Operation 'Sankat Mochan' has been launched by India to airlift 600 stranded Indians in South Sudan. Minister of External Affairs Sushma Swaraj tweeted the information saying Gen VK Singh will lead the operation.
Two C-17 military transport aircraft took a flight to war torn South Sudan's capital city Juba to evacuate over 300 Indians stranded there.
"The General takes charge again! 2 C-17s proceeding to Juba tomorrow with @Gen_VKSingh leading evacuation from South Sudan," MEA Spokesperson Vikas Swarup tweeted. Singh had also supervised evacuation of nearly 4,000 Indians from conflict-ridden Yemen last year.
The relief flight is expected to reach Juba on Thursday morning, an official advisory said, adding only Indian nationals with valid Indian travel document will be allowed boarding with maximum five kg cabin baggage and no check-in pieces.
It also said that women and children will be accommodated on priority.
India has been closely monitoring developments in South Sudan, which is witnessing heavy fighting between former rebels and government soldiers in several parts of the city. A task force has been set up for the purpose.
According to the ministry, there are around 600 Indians in South Sudan, of them 450 are in Juba and nearly 150 are outside the capital.
According to official sources, so far nearly 300 Indians have registered with the Indian embassy for evacuation.