Najeeb Jung resigned as the Lieutenant Governor of Delhi on Thursday with 18 months left in his tenure while claiming that he wanted to return to his first love, academics. Jung had become the LG of Delhi on 13 July, 2013 and since then he had several altercations with the Kejriwal government.
Arvind Kejriwal has time and again accused him of acting on the behest of the central government and being an agent of the ruling BJP.
Let’s have a look at some of the issues where controversies erupted as a result of disagreements between CM Kejriwal and LG Jung:
1. Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) Swati Maliwal and other members’ appointment had created quite a ruckus between Arvind Kejriwal and Najeeb apart from reaching the courts.
2. A confrontation occurred between Kejriwal and Jung when Krishna Saini’s appointment as the chairman of Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission was cancelled on Najeeb Jung’s order. The AAP government had then cancelled Jung’s order, thus widening the rift with him.
3. Kejriwal’s government’s appointment of 15 lawyers was another reason of a rift between the AAP govt and Najeeb Jung. Jung who had revoked the appointment of the lawyers', had to face huge disappointment when the Delhi government rejected his decision.
4. A stand-off also occurred between Jung and Kejriwal when senior bureaucrat Shakuntala Gamlin was appointed as Chief Secretary of the city government in June 2015. The AAP govt. had strong reservations against the move and termed the decision completely ‘unconstitutional’.
5. Delhi’s deputy Chief Minister’s Finland tour in the midst of heightened cases of dengue and chikungunya was another reason of confrontation between the AAP government and Jung. Jung had asked Sisodia to cancel his Finland tour and return to Delhi but Sisodia didn’t pay heed to his order.