News Nation Logo


Police constable killed in stone-pelting in UP's Ghazipur, Congress says 'BJP rule=mobocracy'

The Incident Took Place Less Than A Month After Inspector Subodh Kumar Singh Was Shot Dead By A Mob In Western The State's Bulandshahr On December 3.

News Nation Bureau | Edited By : Aniruddha Dhar | Updated on: 30 Dec 2018, 12:17:17 AM
Two locals are also injured in the stone-pelting incident near Atwa Mor police station in Naunera area.

New Delhi:

A police constable, identified as Suresh Vats, 48, was killed on Saturday in Ghazipur when protesters hurled stones at vehicles returning from the venue of a public meeting addressed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The incident took place less than a month after inspector Subodh Kumar Singh was shot dead by a mob in state's Bulandshahr on December 3 during a violence that broke out over cow slaughter allegations.

The occured when policemen posted at the district's Nonhara police station were returning from duty at PM Modi's rally and were asked to control a mob allegedly from the Nishad community demanding reservation by blocking a highway. The police team was attacked with stones by the protesters when it tried to disperse them.

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has announced a compensation of Rs 40 lakh for the wife of the constable. "CM Yogi Adityanath has taken cognizance of the unfortunate death of Constable Suresh Vats in Ghazipur in a stone-pelting incident," the chief minister office said.

The Congress slammed the Uttar Pradesh government over the death, alleging that in Yogi Adityanath's "jungle rule" neither the people are safe, nor the police. Congress' chief spokesperson Randeep Surjewala claimed: "In Adityanath's grand jungle rule, neither the people were safe, nor the police." "Today in Ghazipur after Modi ji's rally, a mob mercilessly killed police constable Suresh Vats," he tweeted. 

"Democracy in BJP rule=mobocracy," he added. 

On December 3, a mob of some 400 people rampaged through a village in Bulandshahr district apparently after cow carcasses were found in a jungle nearby. During the violence, police inspector Singh and 20-year-old man Sumit Kumar died of gunshot wounds.

Singh had gone for a search operation following specific inputs about stone pelting in the region and fell unconscious after a stone hit his head. While being rushed to the hospital an angry mob again attacked his vehicle. While other policemen in the Jeep fled the spot, Singh was allegedly shot dead by Army jawan Jitendra Malik alias Jeetu Fauji. He was later arrested.

On Thursday, the police arrested another accused from the Bulandshahr-Noida border involved in the murder case. Bulandshahar's Senior Superintendent of Police Prabhakar Chaudhary said the accused, identified as Prashant Nutt, is being interrogated and confessed of shooting Singh. However, the weapon of the killing, a pistol is yet to be recovered, Chaudhary added.

For all the Latest India News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.

First Published : 29 Dec 2018, 09:14:47 PM